Taxibility of Dependent Care Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxibility of Dependent Care Benefits

I have a client that the IRS sent a notice (CP2000) and they are trying to include the $5000 in box 10 of the W2 as income received for Dependent Care Benefits. However, I did not see anywhere where this would be the case...the ATX software does not calculate it as income either...dependent care expenses for the year were $6980 so they didn't get the $600 credit either.

Am I missing something? Let me know where I can find this info if I have done this incorrectly!

Gordy from Albuquerque

Form 2441

Did you file Form 2441 (pages 1 and 2) with the return?

Comment

Yes you have to file

Should be simple matter, responding to the CP 2000 notice, attach the form 2441 form with the appropriate information.

The tax return needed to have a form 2441, page 2 completed stating the information for childcare expenses to offset box 10 of the W-2.

Sandy
      Last edited by S T; 04-26-2007, 12:41 PM.

Comment

This is a return I am fixing

The client only sent in page 1 of the 2441...and took the credit...AND didn't bother to put the amount from box 10 into his TurboTax program...due to this change, I will be sending in the with the notice:

-corrected form 2441
        -1040X (because he left off some medical expenses)
        -corrected return
        -explanation cover page

anything else you can think of?

Gordy from Albuquerque

Comment

anything else

>>anything else you can think of?<<

I don't know the expression for the opposite of something else -- something less? Anyway, use the explanation section of Form 1040X instead of the cover letter.

Comment

Working...
          X