Original W-2 & W-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original W-2 & W-3

2005 IRS Pub 2184 states that Copy A form W-2 & form W-3, submitted to SSA must be on RED Form. Is this correct? Or can these still be printed out in black and submitted.

W-2 & W-3

My software prints these forms out black and white. I have had no problems submitting these for the past 3 or 4 years. As long as the forms are IRS approved, you should be OK. Most software is approved.
    Bill

Comment

W-2 & W-3

Originally posted by Bird Legs
      2005 IRS Pub 2184 states that Copy A form W-2 & form W-3, submitted to SSA must be on RED Form. Is this correct? Or can these still be printed out in black and submitted.
      They still have paper forms that you mail in? You can go to the SSA website, register (do it ahead of time, takes a week or so to get listed in the system) and input the W-2 information on employees of any business, print a paper copy of the W-2 for the employee(s) and electronically file the W-2 & W-3 to SSA, and it's FREE! Been using it for 3 years now, can't imagine doing it the old fashioned way. No buying software, no buying W-2s from Office Depot, is fast and you get a confirmation number that the info was filed with SSA. You can input data on as many business clients as you want.

Oh, and you have 'til March 31st to file, since it's electronic. Had a new business client walk in last March 24th and needed the W-2s filed with SSA. He wasn't late, due to it being done on-line. He was impressed with how he avoided late filing penalties which he always paid before because he's a major procrastinator!
      Last edited by taxmandan; 12-12-2005, 06:53 PM.
      "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

To Taxmandan re. W-2 &3

By filing the way you mentioned, does this mean you have to enter all data on each individual employee on the W-2?
        Thanks

Comment

taxmandan

My question too. Do you have to enter each employee's wages etc into system each year? Since I just push a button and it prints out all info on the W-2 and W-3 it seems on line would take a little bit longer. I guess that's the price for progress.
          Bill

Comment

Taxmandan / Ditto--the question

Does it have "rollover" capability?

Comment

Mailing in is better

Mailing in the W-3 is much easier, unless you have high volumne. I print these payroll forms with Accountants World After the Fact Payroll software (black & white, not red); and just mail them in. Each firms needs are different and no one should feel pressured to go electronic; especially if it means spending time fine tuning computer configuration settings, etc. when you do not have an IT person to do it. For high volume payroll, electronic makes sense. Becasue we do high volume 1040 prep, Efile can certainly make sense there.

Comment

Page one of the downloadable W-3 on the IRS web site has the following warning:

“This form is provided for informational purposes only. Copy A
                appears in red, similar to the official printed IRS form. But do
                not file Copy A downloaded from this website with the SSA. A
                penalty of $50 per information return may be imposed for filing
                such forms that cannot be scanned.”

The Form W-3 instructions say you can use substitute forms instead of the official IRS forms, but it says it has to be approved substitute forms. It all depends if your software prints approved versions or not. I had a fill-in-print version one year that was not IRS approved, and it would always print a warning that you could not use that copy to file with SSA.

Comment

Paper W-2

You do not have to use the red, scannable forms. Check this link to the SSA instructions which indicated you can use laser printer generated black and white copies for Copy A.

Comment

Working...
                  X