Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there be new, low cost tax prep software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap software

No one with a million dollar practice should use cheap software, but someone who does only 100 returns more or less, definitely needs to consider the cost of the software.

Just like efiling--some like it and some don't.

If my clients were constantly being questioned about errors I made, I might need to efile since that would catch some kinds of errors--such as incorrect SSNs.

I rarely make any kind of error that would be caught by efiling. If I leave out some interest or dividends or fail to report a stock sale, efiling would not catch it. On the other hand, if I leave out an EI number efiling would certainly catch it, whereas a paper filed return would not even need the EIN.

The only clients I have that really perceive any extra value in efiling are those who have large refunds--which makes sense and I will efile those kinds of returns at no extra cost to them, since they generally do not job-hop and do not have constanty changing data that won't roll over.

Comment

Bob W

Bob W, what software do you use? Do you do mostly 1040s or also businesses? I've been using ATX so am shopping this year, and am leaning toward a package that is powerful for a sole proprietor to get some help with diagnostics, carrying info to two states (CT and NY are common for me), etc.

Comment

For the ATX Quirk Collection

I have a client who underpaid his state tax by $400 on an extension request because ATX allowed the credit for taxes paid to other states to be subtracted twice, in determining the amount to be paid by April 17.

I like ATX because it always keeps me on my toes. The minute I assume the software does something correctly, it slaps me in the face and reminds me that human involvement is always necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          Bob W, what software do you use? Do you do mostly 1040s or also businesses? I've been using ATX so am shopping this year, and am leaning toward a package that is powerful for a sole proprietor to get some help with diagnostics, carrying info to two states (CT and NY are common for me), etc.
          Lion> sorry I missed your post >>> I use Creative Solution's Ultra Tax> Not cheap but I can count on it for doing a return quickly and correctly. Plenty of diagonostics and other bells & whistles. Get a Demo and play with it.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
          X