Good news & bad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news & bad news

Good news always first, they say: I found a handy little program that gets rid of all the junk and garbage on your computer. Probably y'all alread know all this (especially you, ggdany), but everytime you visit any website they stick all kinds of junk on your hardware; fragments, information, advertising, cookies (even if you're not hungry), and other stuff that clutters up the dang thing and gradually slows it down to a crawl. Anyhow, it's named Webroot Window Washer (www.webroot.com) and it costs $29.95 for...hmm...how long?...come to think of it, I don't know. Must be a year or so though, 'cause they give you a thirty-day free trial period if you want it. Still, it pops up on the screen whenever it runs (for about 15-30 seconds) and it kills stuff off faster'n a Gatling gun. So, I bought it and this Dell's plumbin' looks like Mr. Clean gave it a once-over.

Bad news: Prodigal son, M.W.Ben, has returned home. Married in July; the honeymoon's over. Too bad -- I had such high hopes. And they started off so well -- she paid off all his credit card balances (no small feat), bought his and hers $500 each camera-equipped cell phones, and threw an elaborate wedding (they wanted to get the basics out of the way first and worry about the incidentals--groceries, rent, utilities, car payment, stuff like that-- later). I was quite impressed with that kind of up-front money she displayed. Turns out, unfortunately, that's all the money she had in the world (big EIC refund), and, just for gouger, her check for his tux bounced (talk about embarrassin'). Then, too, her car was repoed shortly after the wedding (come to find out--those "options" the salesman said he was "throwing in" included a GPS tracker). Said she really didn't care anyway; since she was four payments behind and, besides, that dealership, Car TODAY!, seemed just a tad shady as the interest cost more than the car (never mind that beeper).

Oh well; such is life, as the old man used to say.

p.s.

That means "postscript" -- it's from medieval Latin (postscriptum) and means "to write after."

Sorry; just showin' off a bit. Still, since everybody else has a life and I have to reply to myself, I guess it's okay to say what I want. My old Anglish/Fraynch schoolteacher (still lives here) taught me that and to write those letters if I want to say somethin' extra. No question but what he's pretty smart and has been around too. He told us that he once put in some time at the NYU. Millie told him "don't give it another thought," 'cause I (Bart, her cousin) was workin' on taxes right now for somebody just released, and she knew of a few boys who were still in and might never get out.

She doesn't "get" lot'sa stuff, so I told him to never mind her and that, although I think it's "bad for business" to talk politics in the office, I was "in the loop" like y'all "off" from here like to say you are, and I'd once met and talked to a boy who did some work for the ACLU.

Comment

p.s.p.s

Oh, before you go out and buy that Web-Roto-Rooter, it's a good idea to check first and see if you need it. My computer slowed way down and I asked a (pick one) geek/nerd/dork about it. He showed me this stuff to see about it.

Punch these keys:

START

CONTROL PANEL

INTERNET OPTIONS

SETTINGS

VIEW FILES

If the screen's got a long list of stuff on it--then you're "bad off" and need it (or somethin' like it).

Comment

Sorry the kids got their car repo'ed.

Someone I know (not me) got behind on their car payment. Only three days I think. The car dealership flipped a switch and the car would not start. They kept it that way til the person got caught up on the payment.

I was shocked to know they could do that!!! No more searching for the car to take it back. They just im-mobilize it.
        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart
          Punch these keys:

START

CONTROL PANEL

INTERNET OPTIONS

SETTINGS

VIEW FILES
          You lost me after INTERNET OPTIONS, can't find SETTINGS or VIEW FILES under that heading. Are you in WIN XP?
          "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

So...

Bart,

I always go in and cleanout my temp files, etc, but what are we suppose to do with all this stuff? I went into the control panel and about had a heart attack! Must have approximately 400-500 files in there. How am I suppose to know which are good or bad files, good or bad cookies?

Where is the geekgirl or the geekboy??? Are you lurking? We need some help here!

Dennis

Comment

Taxmandan

I went in to Internet Options like Bart said and found everything fine. Go back in and you'll find it. "View files" is a button you click.

Comment

Tm

Originally posted by taxmandan
                You lost me after INTERNET OPTIONS, can't find SETTINGS or VIEW FILES under that heading. Are you in WIN XP?
                Yeah, I'm in Windows XP.

On mine, when you punch the INTERNET OPTIONS key, a large gray box pops up that says INTERNET PROPERTIES. There are half a dozen tabs at the top but you should be at the one you want which is "general." Then look half-way down the page and you should see a button that says SETTINGS. Punch that, then the next gray box popping up will have VIEW FILES in the middle of it.

Comment

Not sure how geeky but

Originally posted by DTS
                  Bart,

I always go in and cleanout my temp files, etc, but what are we suppose to do with all this stuff? I went into the control panel and about had a heart attack! Must have approximately 400-500 files in there. How am I suppose to know which are good or bad files, good or bad cookies?

Where is the geekgirl or the geekboy??? Are you lurking? We need some help here!

Dennis
                  I have run this free one (should already be on your computer) a few times before and it seems to help the computer run a little faster (gets rid of some of the junk), but I don't know if it gets rid of the cookies, files, and stuff that show up when you "view files."

Guess you could try it and see if it helps yours or not.

Punch keys or buttons:

START

ALL PROGRAMS

ACCESSORIES

SYSTEM TOOLS

DISK CLEANUP

DISK DEFRAGMENTER

That Webroot program lets you pick out what cookies you want to keep. As to which ones are good or bad, I don't know how to determine that. When I ran both the cleanup and defrag modules, I didn't specify anything about what to keep, but my computer still ran okay afterwards. I think it's just a standard Windows "cleanup" which is maybe a little "foolproof" so you can't hurt your computer.

Comment

Thanks for

Originally posted by WhiteOleander
                    Sorry the kids got their car repo'ed.

Someone I know (not me) got behind on their car payment. Only three days I think. The car dealership flipped a switch and the car would not start. They kept it that way til the person got caught up on the payment.

I was shocked to know they could do that!!! No more searching for the car to take it back. They just im-mobilize it.
                    the sympathy, but I think the governor may have granted a temporary stay. She just called a few minutes ago and said, basically, "Please come home. All is forgiven and I promise to "do better!" Your thoughts and prayers are appreciated (I may have to put those donation jars on counters around town if it gets any worse).

You know, I did not know that they could do that either (the switch-flipping). I had heard of the GPS locator, but had no idea they could disable a car. Guess it's a good thing (four months worth) for her that it was a "pore boy" operation and couldn't afford a switcher.

Say, just curious, but, about that name WhiteOleander; what is it or what does it mean (if you don't mind sayin' and never mind if you do)?

P.S. Just thought; here might be a potential case for a lawsuit. Suppose you were passin' a car and were in the left lane when they hit the switch and you lost power. On the other hand, maybe the switch only works when the engine is turned off.

Comment

Thanks

Bart,

Thanks for the tips! I run a disk cleanup and run Ad-Aware once or twice a day. I do a defrag once or twice a week. Computer always does seem to run faster after this.

I run into problems when I go into Internet Options and click "delete cookies". All my Internet addresses disappear and some other things happen that are just too painful to talk about!

Maybe, we can have a mini-seminar on this topic today, if the "geek squad" will check in sometime today. Where are you?

Dennis

Comment

Black Bart

White Oleander is a flower. Actually, it's more like a flowering bush. You see them alot in So. Calif. anf So. Texas. (where I hale from) They get very big. The flowers are pink, yellow or white. They can take alot of heat. But, don't like too much cold. The flowers are very beautiful. But, the leaves are deadly poison.

I never thought about the car guy flipping the switch while you're driving on the freeway at 70 MPH. I'm going to ask about that. If I get an answer, I'll get back to you.
                        You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

One more thing...

I have always been told NOT to burn the leaves or wood from an Oleander as they emit a poison that will kill us if we breathe the fumes.

I have not wanted to do any kind of experiment!

Dennis

Comment

Dennis

Originally posted by DTS
                            Bart,

I always go in and cleanout my temp files, etc, but what are we suppose to do with all this stuff? I went into the control panel and about had a heart attack! Must have approximately 400-500 files in there.

Dennis
                            Just thought -- I'll bet the Windows defrag/cleaner won't get rid of the stuff you pick up on the Internet. I just ran that Webroot program and it has a screen that lets you watch the cleaning process. There's a line that says IE Cache (TIF) and I'll bet that's the one that kills off the stuff picked up on the Net (IE for Internet Explorer and TIF for temporary internet files). That's the one that takes the longest to clean off (lots of megabytes).

Then there's another one down below that listed as "Windows Temporary Files" which takes no time at all to clean and I think those maybe are the Windows only files that the defrag-etc. module gets rid of, which is probably why you still have that stuff under View Files (picked up on the Internet).

Just my idea; don't quote me.

Comment

Spyware

An Excellent spyware remover:
                              Go to http://www.safer-networking.org/ and download program and updates. When you get there you will see download in the "home" box, click on that and scroll past the donation to download.

It's free, if you like it you may donate at a later date. It does not run in the back ground. An icon will be placed on your desktop that you will have to click on to start the program searching for bad stuff on your hard drive.

I tries MicroSoft Beta spyware,,,,this one found things that MS missed.
                              Last edited by RLymanC; 12-11-2005, 07:44 PM.
                              Confucius say:
                              He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Working...
                              X