Immigrants hoepe 1040's lead to citizenship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Immigrants hoepe 1040's lead to citizenship

Here's a link to an interesting article by Nina Bernstein of the NY Times (I hope it works). It appears that it's anticipated that new legislation is forthcoming that will make it easier to obtain citizenship if tax returns have been filed in the past. The article indicates that in Raleigh, NC "a tax preparer found 350 immigrants waiting outside his office at 7:00am including one dragging a suitcase holding $14,000 for back taxes".

Last edited by Zee; 04-16-2007, 11:31 AM. Reason: Spelling in title

Illegal alien returns

It is one more gimmick to make illegal immigration legal.

Comment

Dow Approaches Record High

It's obvious "these people" are wrecking our economy.

I ask my clients to guess within 20 years when the United States first enacted immigration quotas. Few of them can come up with a correct answer.

Comment

Originally posted by George Boutwell View Post
        It's obvious "these people" are wrecking our economy.

I ask my clients to guess within 20 years when the United States first enacted immigration quotas. Few of them can come up with a correct answer.
        Why do you ask such a question?

Comment

Why not?

>Why do you ask such a question?<

Because there is more to life than 1040s. I don't ask unless they bring up the subject, and then it's only as part of pointing out how they profit, directly or indirectly, from immigration (not to mention, how they wouldn't be here now if we had quotas when their ancestors arrived). There's a great book, "What's The Matter With Kansas," that points out how many Americans oppose what helps them and support what hurts them. It's just part of the entire picture.

Comment

Here we go

Yet another reason for frenzied citizens to not like the IRS. And preparers. I can see it now, everyone yelling about how we help illegals. This could be bad. Especially in my state, PA. With the mayor of Hazleton already rounding up illegals in vans and taking them to Mexico or just arresting them. I mean on one hand I agree with him illegal is illegal and since they aren't citizens they aren't entitled to the same rights and freedoms as citizens, but isn't there a way to eliminate the crazy cop raids and riots of the ethnic group leaders?

Jade!!

Comment

Originally posted by George Boutwell View Post
              >Why do you ask such a question?<

Because there is more to life than 1040s. I don't ask unless they bring up the subject, and then it's only as part of pointing out how they profit, directly or indirectly, from immigration (not to mention, how they wouldn't be here now if we had quotas when their ancestors arrived). There's a great book, "What's The Matter With Kansas," that points out how many Americans oppose what helps them and support what hurts them. It's just part of the entire picture.
              And...two sides to each argument, but this isn't the forum for political debates. I avoid this type of discussion with clients. Each argument has merits. I posted this only because using the tax system to facilitate political/social change doesn't seem quite right to me. I wasn't aware that if an illegal was paying taxes, it would improve their chances of citizenship.

Comment

Originally posted by Zee View Post
                I wasn't aware that if an illegal was paying taxes, it would improve their chances of citizenship.
                The Bush administration has made comprehensive immigration reform a priority, and a realignment of Congress may reignite the movement toward the Bush position. The Kennedy-McCain proposal, formally known as the Secure America and Orderly Immigration Act, came closest to matching the President's intentions. One feature often touted by the administration and those in alignment with the administration is that undocumented workers would have to pay back federal income taxes.

Comment

Seems to me like it should be "illegal" to prepare illegal immigrant's tax returns. I have not been ask to prepare one, but would definitely refuse.

Can't help but wonder why some folks don't understand what the word illegal means. Its clearly the opposite of legal so why should we feel sorry for those that know they are illegal. Its not my problem.

Comment

My Guess

[QUOTE I ask my clients to guess within 20 years when the United States first enacted immigration quotas. Few of them can come up with a correct answer.[/QUOTE]

My recollection from my days as a history major in college is that the US put in immigration quotas in the 1870s or 80s in response to what was perceived as too many people coming in from the Orient and Southern Europe. I do not believe there were at that time quotas on people coming from the UK, what is now Germany, the Scandinavian Countries, Belgium, Luxemburg, the Netherlands, or France. The consensus in the US at that time was that the problem was not with sheer numbers of total people but with the number of people who were "obviously undesirable" for reasons of physical appearance and culture.

Comment

Public Accomodatons

Originally posted by OldJack View Post
                      Seems to me like it should be "illegal" to prepare illegal immigrant's tax returns. I have not been ask to prepare one, but would definitely refuse.
                      Can't help but wonder why some folks don't understand what the word illegal means. Its clearly the opposite of legal so why should we feel sorry for those that know they are illegal. Its not my problem.
                      As tax professionals we are offering "Public Accommodations" and may not discriminate against any group based on ethnicity and no one has thought to make illegal aliens an exception to the rule.

I don't especially like the fact that illegal aliens are here, but they are and I see nothing to be gained by discouraging them from filing their income taxes. The fact that they pay into the Social Security System from which most will never draw offsets the fact that some get refundable credits. Of course I would rather the EIC were part of the Welfare System instead of part of the Tax System, but guess what, not everything in the world is ever going to be as I think it should be.

Comment

What part of ILLEGAL is unclear??

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                        ...may not discriminate against any group based on ethnicity and no one has thought to make illegal aliens an exception to the rule.
                        The term or title ILLEGAL ALIEN is a residency status. It is not, in and of itself, an ethnic group or race. Just because it so happens that the majority of illegals today happen to fall into a particular ethnic or race catagory does not mean that all illegals are of that same race or ethnicity.

Originally posted by erchess View Post
                        As tax professionals we are offering "Public Accommodations"
                        I am a Professional Tax Preparer doing business in the private sector. I am not required to provide service to anyone that I do not wish to. I do not have to annouce a reason for refusing to accept a client, I can simply choose not to. If they want service, they can do what they have proven to be very good at, they can get free service from a government agency.
                        That's all I have to say ... for now.

Moses A.
                        Enrolled Agent

Comment

Originally posted by GIMoe View Post
                          I am a Professional Tax Preparer doing business in the private sector. I am not required to provide service to anyone that I do not wish to. I do not have to annouce a reason for refusing to accept a client, I can simply choose not to. If they want service, they can do what they have proven to be very good at, they can get free service from a government agency.
                          Great Post!!! I agree 100%.. I work for who I want to work for and that does not include illegal immigrants and for that matter certain other groups of individuals I will not accept either.

Comment

Originally posted by OldJack View Post

I always wonder how far people are willing to go with this.

If you were a doctor, would you refuse to treat humans whose immigration documents were not in order?

Would you prepare a tax return for a doctor who does?

Would you prepare a tax return for a client who lives in a house built by illegal immigrant labor?

Comment

I read the following recently (paraphrased)

Ask any Native American how that immigration thing worked out.

Comment

Working...
                              X