Gift tax return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gift tax return

A married couple gifted a property to their son. Should each of them file a gift tax return separately? Like the husband files a Form 709 to report that he gifted 50% of the property to his son and the wife files another Form 709 to report that she gifted 50% of the property to her son?

Look ......

..... for a box on the 709 that asks if the spouse joins in the gifting.

It has been a long time since I have done one, so excuse my reply. But I do remember such a question years ago. If yes, then double any annual exclusion.

If I am wrong, don't think to badly of me.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Yes

File a separate return for each. Each spouse also has to sign the other return consenting to the splitting of the gift. Look in the upper middle section of page 1 of the 709. Pretty much self explanatory.

Gerald

Comment

I'm not sure that this is an example of gift splitting. Typically, gift splitting occurs when ONE spouse owns property and gifts the property to a donee. In that case the other spouse can elect to treat the gift as a deemed split between the two spouses ( §2513(a)). The poster needs to describe the ownership of the property.

Two gift returns are needed in any case (whether it be gift-spitting or a gift of an undivded half interest in a property). I do not believe there is gift splitting in community property states (though there may be some arcane state laws). Typically, these gifts are held to be a gift of ½ by the H and ½ by the W.

Comment

Working...
        X