Paper file - W-2s not attached - Oops!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paper file - W-2s not attached - Oops!

State return needed to be paper filed. W-2s were not attached to it. I 99.9% e-file. I remembered, then interruptions and didn't attach the W-2s. Call it a last week of tax season moment. Client has mailed the return to the state already. Now what? It there anything I need to do proactively?

w2's

I would wait and see if they requested them. Wisconsin and other states have access to the federal records.

Comment

Originally posted by KJ Judd View Post
      State return needed to be paper filed. W-2s were not attached to it. I 99.9% e-file. I remembered, then interruptions and didn't attach the W-2s. Call it a last week of tax season moment. Client has mailed the return to the state already. Now what? It there anything I need to do proactively?
      You must now go stand in the corner and write "I will never make that mistake again" 1000 times.
      Just kidding I don't think I would worry about it to much it is not the end of the world. I think they might just send you a letter saying that the return may not be processed unitl the proper attachments are mailed. You may have some penalties but other than that I would think everything will be ok. Hang in there

Comment

No W-2s

Can't speak for Wisconsin, but no big deal here -- just get a form letter about a month later indicating omitted items, requesting them, and no penalty. The big problem's the customer -- he's upset about delayed refund.

Comment

It is a big deal in NC

if the W-2 had state withholding. North Carolina will send a letter that I personally find hard to decipher. It is clear that the return was changed and that a sum of money is being demanded. I can figure out that the withholding is being disallowed but I have never had a client who was able to figure that out without my help. And absolutely nowhere is it stated that the W-2 was not found with the return.

Another crummy thing NCDOR will do is ignore an amended return that requests a refund if the employee who handles it deems it unpersuasive. The usual reason they find it unpersuasive is that they want the figures added and subtracted on paper like a fourth grader's homework with marginal notes as to what the numbers represent. I don't so much mind their demanding more information but they should be as quick to reply to an amended return asking for money as they would be if it showed an increase in tax but no payment was enclosed.

If any employee of the Bureau who is not in a policy making position reads this, please do not take it as critical of the work done by you and others like you. The policy making employees, including elected and politically appointed officials collectively have much to answer for in terms of the tax policies of this State.

Comment

Notice from State

Most states I have dealt with will respond as follows:

1) No refund, because they view the attached W-2s as a sort of "voucher"
            to authenticate payment.
            2) Notice will be sent to the taxpayer stating there is a discrepancy between
            the amount of tax withheld on line ___ and the amount otherwise support.
            Notice will ask that the taxpayer reconcile the difference. Taxpayer
            should respond with a letter and enclose the state copy of W-2s.

Some of the states are migrating away from hard copy authentication of
            W-2s. To begin with, they couldn't continue to do this if they wanted to
            implement an e-file program. Depends on the state and how far they have
            "migrated" to alternate authentication.

Comment

Working...
            X