Charitable contribution?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charitable contribution?

Had a couple people ask this question this year...

In order to participate in a Run/Walk or Bicycle event, the taxpayer not only collects contributions from friends/neighbors but also must pay an entrance fee. The money collected is charitable contributions for the friends that gave the money, but what about the entrance fee? Does it matter if the charity itself puts on the event, or if a local business(es) put on the even but they say that it's a benefit for charities?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Bill

I would ask the charity to give a receipt. They should know. Since T/P doesn't get anything in return I would think it is a donation.

Comment

Don't forget.....

...... about the "Enjoyment Factor". If there is enjoyment there is no deduction>>>...???
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Laughing

...so I enjoy what I am doing and have a hobby....I better don't smile at any government representative.....

Comment

Pay To Play

The entry fee for the Boston Marathon is $95. I have no idea where the money goes, but apparently people will pay for the privilege of doing with a crowd, what they could do for free on their own. If there is an upfront fee to participate, it doesn't matter whether it is a race or a lottery. Nondeductible. Exception would be churches and synagogues that charge membership fees.

Comment

my concern exactly

Originally posted by George Boutwell View Post
            The entry fee for the Boston Marathon is $95. I have no idea where the money goes, but apparently people will pay for the privilege of doing with a crowd, what they could do for free on their own. If there is an upfront fee to participate, it doesn't matter whether it is a race or a lottery. Nondeductible. Exception would be churches and synagogues that charge membership fees.
            There is definitely a benefit (albeit an intangible benefit) of having a course roped off for X number of miles uninterrupted by street traffic, and having refreshments, etc along the route. One taxpayer had a receipt from the organizing group showing the full amount of the fee for a bicycle ride ($300) as a tax-deductible contribution -- I allowed that full amount but figured I should investigate.

Bill

Comment

Working...
            X