amended return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amended return

Married couple. In 2005 wife filed MFS. Husband (self employed) never filed. It works out alot better to file married filing joint. Do I 1. File amended by adding his information to the 1040x or 2. Do I amend hers showing zero's and file a married filing joint 1040. I thinkin No. 1 is the way to go. Is that stinkin thinkin?

Bucky

mfs to mfj

Just had one like this. I would file 1040X mfj and include both. Do you have reaason to believe that maybe he isnt reporting his income. If you do then do nothing.

Comment

1040X Instructions

The instructions to the 1040X tell you how to do this.

Comment

Hey George That was easy. Thanks.

Comment

only one way to go here

She has filed so a Joint 1040 would get rejected because of her MFS return. So the only way to get where we want to go is with a 1040X but it does not matter whose numbers are taken as the "original return"

Comment

For 2005

Originally posted by Bucky View Post
            Married couple. In 2005 wife filed MFS. Husband (self employed) never filed. It works out alot better to file married filing joint. Do I 1. File amended by adding his information to the 1040x or 2. Do I amend hers showing zero's and file a married filing joint 1040. I thinkin No. 1 is the way to go. Is that stinkin thinkin?

Bucky
            since she filed and he didn't, and if they agree to amend, it's her return that is
            to be amended, with her name/number first. He plays second fiddle this time
            round.
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Open Mouth Insert Foot

Incorrect Quote from me: "but it does not matter whose numbers are taken as the 'original return.'"

That statement would only apply when both have previously filed MFS. Even there if the couple have a history of filing of filing jointly I believe it is best to keep the same primary taxpayer. That at least used to result in faster processing of original returns.

Earlier poster stated the facts accurately enough but kindly failed to point out what a silly mistake I had made.

Comment

Filing Amended Return

Bucky, I am concerned about you in this situation. Why had husband not filed. I can't believe a self-employed would have no income. You filed a mfj return and suddenly include him without income? On the original return where she filed mfs is husband's name and ssn given? I can see the following designations for husband: full time student, unemployed, or stay-at-home parent. If you list self-employed that raises the question about his income as a self-employed person.
                I hope you have thought out all the ramifications for this particular situation. How many years in the past has he not filed returns? Are you looking at the total situation. Also protect your self with a signed letter of engagement.
                I've worked with some self-employed people and know how many of them think. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                X