Deducting Home Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deducting Home Improvements

Is maintenance/improvements made to the home a deductible expense (i.e. new siding, privacy fence, etc.)? If so, what are the guidelines related to this type of deduction.

Assuming this is a personal residence

Occupied by the owner improvments are not deductible. Certain energy credits are available for windows, doors and energy efficient HVAC and water heaters.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Siding, privacy fence

I would think, as a personal residence, the improvements that you speak of would get added to the basis of the property except for those things that may qualify for energy credit.
      Peachie

Comment

And......

Originally posted by Peachie View Post
        I would think, as a personal residence, the improvements that you speak of would get added to the basis of the property except for those things that may qualify for energy credit.
        Peachie
        even those get added to the basis minus of course the applicable credit taken.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Oops! That's what I meant.

Thanks, ChEAr$. I read and reread my post before posting and I still flubbed it :-)).

Peachie

Comment

Working...
          X