ATX Refugees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATX Refugees

After April 15 is a great time for TTB participants to post about plus and minus to software. We do it every year. This is also the time that the software companies are twisting our arms for renewals.

For those of you who use ATX and are looking around, I will be discussing my software, TaxSlayer, for possible consideration. Tax Slayer as it is currently programmed, is not adequate for everyone, because it is a low-end product. If you like features such as an ATXers board, and a tax form for some remote municipality in Wyoming, you won't find it with them.

However, I maintain you don't need a better message board than the one you are reading at present. And for the difference in price, is it more practical to download a form for that one-in-a-million customer from that Wyoming town?

I realize this is premature, but there will be more coming from me about TaxSlayer. I will be candid about what you can expect for the money, and what you won't be able to expect.

Tax Slayer

Is Tax Slayer able to do corporation and partnership returns?

I need a program that will do Corporations, partnerships and the Texas Franchise Tax.

I do a few state returns which may not be available in some programs.

Comment

Change in Prices at ATX

When I switched to ATX it was an incredible upgrade from the place I was at before...as my business grew, the switch from 1040 to 1040 office was a little more, but worth for all the extra states...I now have clients in 5 different states, so those forms mean something to me...but so far, I have done almost 150 efiles for state and federal, which means I am looking at $750+ for next year...plus the 165 I spent for 10 prs returns I am only 100 in change from the MAX of 1065...the message board for me was invaluable and coming across this one has made things much easier on me...but 10 days before the end of the tax season?????

I would appreciate any suggestions on tax software, given the benefits that ATX provided for a small practice like mine...

Also, what about structuring the message board with predetermined threads like...
      1040 - income questions
      1040 - Sch C questions
      Depreciation questions
      etc

I don't know, just thinking out loud?

Comment

My software needs

I can get TaxAct which will handle my Form 1040 needs for only about $90. I don't do a lot of efiling so their $5 per efiling would not increase my cost considerably.

What I need in addition is a pay-per-return program that will do any state return, corporation and partnership returns and the ability to efile Form 1099s and possibly efile Extension requests.

As an alternative, I could paper-file 1099s but would need a program that would print them on the red, scannable forms.

I can efile W-2s on the SSA web site and can efile TWC (SUTA) foms on the TWC web site.

I would appreciate any suggestions that might handle all of the above at a relatively low cost since my volume of business is not large enough to justify more expensive software.

Comment

Here's my three cents worth

Although I've used ATX PPR (10 business returns for set price), I also use Taxwise
          for 1040 and efiling. Taxwise allows unlimited efiling directly with IRS, and not
          thorugh their service bureau, although that too is an option.

Next year I'll still use TAxwise, but instead of ATX, will buy each business return
          at 30$ a pop and still be ahead of the game.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

TaxSlayer

I have used the demo of Tax Slayer to try it out and it does do Corporate and Partnership returns. I used it to prepare a couple corporate returns I had on extension and seemed to work well, just had to get used to it after using ATX for so long. I down loaded the fully functional demo from thier web site after the filing season was over.

Comment

TaxAct E-file Pricing

Originally posted by Joe Btfsplk View Post

I can get TaxAct which will handle my Form 1040 needs for only about $90. I don't do a lot of efiling so their $5 per efiling would not increase my cost considerably.
              Except that it isn't $5. It's $11.45 for the first 25, and decreases from there.

Last year they ran an unadvertised but widely known special of the 1040 program plus all states plus unlimited e-file for $500.

Professional tax software for CPAs, accountants, and tax professionals. Contains all the tools & features that smart tax professionals want & appreciate.

Comment

TaxAct still does

I called them today and they said that I could get unlimited e-file, unlimited 1040's and all state returns for $ 500.00. I also downloaded the demo and I think it is a fast and easy program to use. They also have a business program for a very reasonable price. The only thing I would be missing is the W2 , 1099 and payroll stuff. I figure I can buy that from ATX for another 140.00. Money ahead all the way around.

The only thing I forgot to ask them was about a conversion program. I might be back to square one if they dont have that.
                Does anyone know if they do?
                Are we done yet?

Comment

TaxSlayer

...I was going to wait, but will respond at this time to defray possible misconceptions which this thread may have started.

Firstly, I was an ATX user until 2003. I began with the MAX product in 1998 for about $550, and in five years, the price virtually doubled. During the 2003 tax year, there was a horrific e-file problem early in February which blew away their technical support and left many of us high and dry. If you were using ATX at the time, I'm sure you will remember that year. From what I've been told, they have not had a recurrence of this on such a massive basis since then.

After that year, I discussed renewal with a couple of their people and told them their problem was so extensive they were not entitled to their usual big-time price increase. They were going up 15%-20% annually. After their miserable 2003 year, they announced yet another price hike, announced they had 52,000 customers, so I switched to TaxSlayer

TaxSlayer is very unlikely to be bought out by a bigger fish -- one reason I chose them. Their history is unlike the other softwares. There is a local tax service in the Augusta, GA area with some 40 offices. Rather than be jerked around like all the rest of us by software companies, they decided to develop software for their own use, and then market the software wherever there was interest. So it is very unlikely they will be bought out unless someone decides to buy out their tax offices as well.

The menus remind you of old DOS programs, but it is database architecture and extremely accurate. I have no memory of TaxSlayer making a mistake on ANY Federal 1040 series, worksheets, or schedules.

There is no 24/7 support. Bad. But during their support hours, someone will answer you on the third ring. I've never seen this fail. Good. They have the best, most relevant and capable support I've ever seen from ANY software company, tax or otherwise! Not only that but you get to speak to a tax person, not a programmer.

Joe, you asked about corporate returns. Be careful here. You are paying $750 for home-grown software in Georgia and South Carolina. I believe you'll get a great product for those states. However, some of the state business returns are missing critical interface. Some of the federal data will not transfer properly for other states, and the program itself tells you the states may have to be re-entered if the federal return changes. TaxSlayer will lose customers because of its poor linkage to state returns, especially business entities.

I have been inconvenienced a few hours every year because TaxSlayer is simply not as robust as other software packages. I do one corporate return with 9 states each year, and TaxSlayer is simply not the product designed for this. I have about 10-12 hours of inconvenience associated with my low $750 price. I keep hoping they will improve their product but I think this would create quite a bit of programming expense that would cause the price to increase significantly.

They have an interface with their accounting product which, in my opinion, is miserable. So bad that I spend another $50 on "Busiforms" to produce W-2s and 1099s.

But all things considered, TaxSlayer is a good alternative for those of us who do not demand high-priced software and big corporate demeanor. I plan to renew.

Comment

TaxSlayer Pro

TS Pro is excellent software. I have used it for 4 or 5 years and quite thankful that Ken in Arizona steered me toward it. Each year I have noticed major improvements to the software. They listen to their users and incoporated their suggestions into the software. It is a package that offers everything although this year it started charging $200 for its accounting program. It needs a better training program for the accounting. The Help staff are always willing to help you when you call either on the accounting or the tax programs.
                    E-filing in included both for direct and indirect filers. For indirect filers multiple states can be efiled at one time. The S corp is the only entity besides individual the only one I have used. It was perfect interfaced with the accounting program.
                    I have nothing but praise for TS Pro and I have already renewed for the 2007 season. Get in touch with them for a free demonstration.
                    Last edited by Chief; 04-10-2007, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I second that...

But all things considered, TaxSlayer is a good alternative for those of us who do not demand high-priced software and big corporate demeanor. I plan to renew.

I have used TaxSlayer for more than five years. I agree with most of what Snaggle has mentioned in his post. You get a lot of bang for the buck. The only problem I have encountered this year is having to do a 1041 and not being able to get the data to flow to the K-1. This is probably a more preparer problem than a technical one, but I will figure this one out, I;m sure. As a certified TT user from 1988 to about 1998, when I stepped up to TS Pro, it blew me away.

It is truly a nifty little program for the price for all the goods and bads recently stated. I, too, will renew before May 1.

Peachie

Comment

I got a card in the mail recently form TaxSlayer and I am thinking about looking at the program. I do alot of S-Corporations but I do live in Georgia. The way Snag put it there shouldn't be that much of a problem there. Taxwise is wanting to renew me for $1,078. I have one trust that I do and they stopped including that in the business part of the program this year. I have always loved Taxwise but recent years their tech support has been pretty bad. I called one day about K-1, Section 179 deduction with limitations in Georgia (not applicable now), entering in the individual return. She told me I had to enter all assets in the individual return, no carryforward from the S-Corp. This is quite a task when there are so many assets. I asked why it would not carry over from the S-Corp return to the individual. I got a "I don't know" several times.

I am getting calls from Taxwise to renew. I have got 3 calls and a email this week. They usually wait until after the season and have never called this often. Makes me wonder why they are being so pushy.

Comment

I feel slighted.

Been with Taxwise ten years now, but they haven't yet called me to renew this year.

anyway, last year I compared Taxslayer with Taxwise and there was no contest in my
                          opinion.

And since I won't have ATX to kick around next year, I'll buy Taxwise business modules
                          at 30$ a whack, unless I can get ten for a set price less expensively.
                          ChEAr$,
                          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

How many business returns do you do a year?

Well I got my renewal invoice last week. Then they started calling this week. Thing is it has been three different people call. They must think they will get me in my weakiest and go ahead and renew I still would like to see what TaxSlayer has to offer.

Comment

GeekGirl

and TaxMs. You are making a wise choice to look. Especially with so much corporate swallowing of other companies. To change software is a major move for anybody. I hope that you will make the right decision for yourself. For me I will continue with TaxSlayer Pro.

Comment

Working...
                              X