Necessary or ordinary business expense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Necessary or ordinary business expense

Sole proprietor of a senior care center joined a membership at a fee of $5,950 to purchase furniture/supplies at a reduced price. Sole proprietor was purchasing an entire house of furniture for the new business. I don't think this fee would be considered deductible, but wanted to run it by other tax preparers to get their thoughts.

There's more

to this than your client is telling you.

Comment

If the fee is saving her money and it was for the business it would be a deduction. Even if it didn't end up saving her money it should qualify. No one said you had to make smart decisions. I write off my Sam's club membership fee and I usually spend more then I intended each time I go to that place.

Comment

Sam's Club

>>I write off my Sam's club membership fee<<

Sam's Club charges an annual fee. Is that what this $5950 covers, a single year? I would consider whether it might not be a non-depreciable intangible asset.

Comment

Amortizable

Originally posted by jainen View Post
          >>I write off my Sam's club membership fee<<

Sam's Club charges an annual fee. Is that what this $5950 covers, a single year? I would consider whether it might not be a non-depreciable intangible asset.
          at least. But $ 5,950 is a bit high I think. Costco and Sam's are cheaper.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
            at least. But $ 5,950 is a bit high I think. Costco and Sam's are cheaper.
            I've seen these clubs advertised. Supposedly, member's can purchase big-ticket items like furniture & appliances at very large discounts. I'm not sure of the full line of products available. The fee to join is very high. My guess is this membership is part personal/part business.

Comment

The fee

is for a two-year membership for Direct-Buy. Being the client was furnishing a complete house for a senior citizen care facility, she thought the discount she would receive when purchases the furniture would surpass the cost of membership. Deductible??

Comment

Originally posted by peggysioux View Post
                is for a two-year membership for Direct-Buy. Being the client was furnishing a complete house for a senior citizen care facility, she thought the discount she would receive when purchases the furniture would surpass the cost of membership. Deductible??
                I would consider this a valid business expense. If the business is cash-basis or accrual-basis taxpayer? If accrual, the most conservative approach would be to consider 1/2 of the fee a prepaid expense since it's a two-year membership. If cash-basis, I'd deduct the entire amount the first year.

Comment

Yet another possibility

is to include the one time fee in cost for the furniture, since that was primary reason.

That way, it's section 179 all the way!
                  ChEAr$,
                  Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                  X