Auto expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto expenses

A taxpayer is a truck driver. His company provides him with the truck but he needs to pay for the fuel and the maintenance expenses of the truck. He was issued a Form 1099 for his earnings as non-employee compensation. He reports the income in the Schedule C.

How does he claim the expenses on the fuel and the maintenance of the truck which he uses for works but he does not own?

I would report them as COGS on his Sch. C. Whatever he paid out of pocket are his business expenses regardless of who owns the truck.

Comment

Not COG

I would definitely claim them but not as COG. No materials or purchases for resale here. But operating expense of his Schedule C.
      JG

Comment

spicing up her text

>>definitely claim them but not as COG<<

Gabriele was spicing up her text with a double synecdochic metaphor, using a tiny part to stand for a gear, which in turn represents all the costs of running the whole truck -- and it also happens to be an acronym for business expenses!

Very clever, Gabriele.

Comment

I thought that you could not claim vehicle

expenses unless you owned or leased the vehicle. However when I played around in my software just now, it seemed to have no objection to my claiming actual expenses on a vehicle I did not own or lease. It did warn me against claiming mileage.

Comment

Thanks jainen

Thanks jainen.

I learned a new word today "synecdoche". I had to look it up in the dictionary,

Comment

Originally posted by jainen View Post
              >>definitely claim them but not as COG<<

Gabriele was spicing up her text with a double synecdochic metaphor, using a tiny part to stand for a gear, which in turn represents all the costs of running the whole truck -- and it also happens to be an acronym for business expenses!

Very clever, Gabriele.
              Thanks for clearing that up. I did feel guilt at saying anything against G's post since she is so very clearly real and as usual when I feel guilty there is a reason - missed the point entirely. Thank for you J for clearing that up.
              JG

Comment

I looked it up too

Still don't get it

Comment

JG and Jainen, you have no idea how innocent I am, as far as the american language goes. I am totally lost what your point is. I am most often lost when it comes to "finer points", sayings or jokes, since I didn't grow up here. So, my vacubulary is very simple.

Comment

Gabriele, you short change yourself

in some ways, however, I do admire what you have accomplished.

Comment

Wikipedia

Thanks for being a good sport, Gabriele. I was just taking advantage of a funny coincidence to play some word games. I had to look up a few things before I could write the joke. To tell the truth, I didn't know that word either until I ran across it in Wikipedia.

Comment

Working...
                      X