Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

990 form and conservation non-profit? anyone done one of these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

990 form and conservation non-profit? anyone done one of these?

Am wondering how to handle "easements for land conservation" on the 990 tax form.
    I know that if the organization buys the land then of course it is a tangible asset,
    but,
    what about the "easement rights for conservation purposes" ? The easement gets deeded to the Conservation Non-Profit (whether purchased or donated) but not sure how to handle these intangibles.
    I would assume that they are still "assets" on the balance sheet as the easement rights have a value of either purchased value or donated FMV.
    If they are valued and then they must be listed as intangible assets on the corp.books and on the 990 ? Right?

I know that donated conservation easement rights are "perpetual" in order for the donor/taxpayer to get a charitable contribution on their 1040. The donated FMV of the easement must show up on the 990 as "donated non-cash property" correct?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

FMV Marriage not necessary

I don't believe there is a requirement for the carrying value of the easement on the 990 to equal the charitable contribution of the donor. Of course, if they did agree, this would corroborate the gift.

I believe the dollar value of the easement must be carried as an asset, even though it is still an "expenditure." Many charities use the value of their plant assets as an endowed appropriation.

Comment

Snaggletooth, thanks for responding

I appreciate your input and insight !
      I believe that I will continue to keep deeded easements as an intangible asset on the 990 as well as on the balance sheet. Then everything matches.

Comment

Working...
      X