Comment

Land improvement..

15 years. .......

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
          last time I had one of these.
          But the accountant in Trentadue v Com thought his grape growers could do it in less.

Cheer up Veritas, they aren't that bad!
          Dan

Comment

S-179

I believe it also qualifies for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
              I believe it also qualifies for this.
              Trentadue v Com makes it very clear that a well is not personal property eligible for Sec 179. The case has a good discussion on the 6 points used to distinguish personal property from land improvements. The court also compared grape trellises to machinery. Very informative reading.

I just read a commentary tonight on the case in the Ag Law Digest, they expect the case tol be upheld in the 9th circuit.
              Dan

Comment

So

what class life did the farmer get? Mine is a filbert orchard.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
                  what class life did the farmer get? Mine is a filbert orchard.
                  7 years for the trellises, same as a wire fence. The case cleared up some questions I had about what qualifes as a fence under asset class 01.1.

A filbert orchard! Frown the frown on your face I thought maybe it was a hog farm.
                  Dan

Comment

Funny

Originally posted by cpadan View Post
                    Trentadue v Com makes it very clear that a well is not personal property eligible for Sec 179.
                    how IRS is always after us for "creative accounting" when, in fact, they're pretty good at redefining reality themselves. TvC notwithstanding, a well seems pretty tangible as personal property goes and is certainly an integral part of production, which are a couple of conditions relating to S-179.

It sort of puts you in mind of the auto depreciation method which again requires traded-in cars to stay on your schedule and be depreciated at a crawl instead of becoming part of the basis of your new car -- otherwise the write-off's just too quick for them. It seems to have more to do with money than anything else and I'll bet that if farm water wells weren't so expensive, there wouldn't be much question about what kind of property they are.

Comment

Originally posted by cpadan View Post
                      7 years for the trellises, same as a wire fence. The case cleared up some questions I had about what qualifes as a fence under asset class 01.1.

A filbert orchard! Frown the frown on your face I thought maybe it was a hog farm.
                      Dan
                      If it was a hog farm where the hogs had wheels I would be happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X