Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope Scholarship Credit

Very complicated scenario..

A student graduated from high school in May 2006. He spent one semester in a community college (Sept 2006 to Dec 2006) and paid $300 for tuition.

He would transfer to a 4-yrs university in January 2007 and he paid the tuition for Spring 2007 semester to the 4-yrs university in advance at the amount of $2,000 in 2006.

Question: Can he claim Hope Scholarship credit on the $2,000 tuition that he has paid in 2006 to the 4-yrs college but he wouldn't start attending class there until 2007?

Yes

He can use the 300 Fall semester tuition plus the 2000 Spring semester tuition minus any amounts he received in scholarships and grants in 2006 as long as the other requirements are met ... degree candidate, enrolled at least half time, no felony drug conviction, etc.

Comment

Very complicated

>>Very complicated scenario.... Can he claim Hope Scholarship credit on the $2,000 tuition that he has paid in 2006<<

Yes. What is complicated about that?

Comment

Jainen

Watch your posts! Be nice! What is complicated for some of us, is simple for others!

ST
        Last edited by S T; 04-04-2007, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I just relies my tax software does a diagnostics when claiming the Hope credit and informs you that Claiming the Lifetime Learning credit rather than the Hope credit may result in a greater education credit. Sure enough, by using the Learning credit, it gave my client an additional $350 in credits.

Comment

Curious....is he a dependent on his parents return?
            Dave, EA

Comment

It's the Hope credit;

and not Hope scholarship credit.

Here I was thinking you were referring to the Hope Scholarship given out by State of
              Georgia, which of course makes it not qualified for any credits.
              ChEAr$,
              Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
              X