Mortgage Interest more Complicated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mortgage Interest more Complicated

Oh dear, someone needs to rescue us as tax professionals from the convoluted rules on the mortgage interest deductions.

Just came across another one. Was primary residence, changed to a rental in 8/2005, but t/p refinanced and obtained down payment on another primary residence. So I limited her mortgage interest in 2005. Thought all was fine, and in looking at 2006 statement, the new loan, is a Negative Amortization loan, so the principal balance grew $14,185.

So now how do I figure the interest deduction, do you suppose I can use the same percentages that I did in 2005?? Or is there another complicated method to caluclate this?

Sandy

two averaging methods

>>do you suppose I can use the same percentages that I did in 2005??<<

You wouldn't use the same percentages anyway, because payments on the principal for mixed use loans are always allocated 100% to the non-deductible or personal balance. I'm sloppy and do it annually, but you are supposed to do it month-by-month or use one of two averaging methods.

Comment

Help

Jainen,

Please throw the dog a bone or cookie Treat!

This is a rental for all of 2006. In 2005 refinanced for $455,384, of which $112,723 is allocated to personal (paying off bills and down payment on another personal residence) Now for 2006, with this Negative Amortization Loan, the balance is $469,568.

Mortgage interest paid on form 1098 is $17,887.

so question is does the increase in the principal balance now get allocated to personal as well and then calculate the interest??

I am so confused and of course the instructions didn't take into consideration the negative amortization that a good many of us will be facing over the next year or so!

Sandy

Comment

I don't see how

>>does the increase in the principal balance now get allocated to personal as well<<

I don't see how anyone could say the extra principal was used to acquire the property, so it must be considered as personal-use.

Comment

That was what I was going to post also. The increase in principal would not change the percentages because no more money was taken out for another purpose.
          JG

Comment

change the percentages

>>The increase in principal would not change the percentages<<

Sure it would. Let's say the refinance was for $100,000, and $50,000 was the rental's acquisition debt so 50% of the interest is deductible. Now the principal grows to $101,000, but the rental is still allocated $50,000 and only 49% of the interest is deductible.

Comment

Working...
            X