Admission of new Partner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Admission of new Partner

I just picked up a new client, an LLC taxed as a partnership.

I'm uncertain regarding how to report regarding allocations because of the midyear admission of a new partner.

Lets assume the following:

Jan 1st 2006 through May 1st 2006:
    Partnership profit for this period is $100,000
    There are three partners,
    A is 34%
    B is 33%
    C is 33%

June 1st 2006, they added a new partner D.
    D contributed $25,000 cash to the partnership and became a 25% partner.
    So then for the period June 1st through December 31st 2006 there are four partners,
    A is 25%
    B is 25%
    C is 25%
    D is 25%.
    Partnership profit for the period June 1st through December 31st is $200,000

Questions:
    Do I file one 1065 for Jan thru May and another for Jun thru Dec?

If I file only one 1065 for the entire year...how do I allocate the profits on the k1 forms? Maybe issue one set of k1 forms for A B C for period ending 5-31-06, and then another set of K1 forms for A B C D for period ending 12-31-06?

How would you do it?

Thank You,
    Harvey Lucas

I think I've got It

I think I've answered my own question.
    I'll post it here, if I am way off base I'm hoping some
    of you may have time for a simple Yay or nay.

I will file only one 1065 for calender year 2006.

I will make allocations and file one set of k1 forms and allocate profits to
    the partners based on each period.

Partner A's K1 will show:
    1-1 to 5-31 34,000
    6-1 to 12-31 50,000
    K1 total 84,000
    % owned at beg of yr 34%
    % owned at end of yr 25%

Partner B's K1 will show:
    1-1 to 5-31 33,000
    6-1 to 12-31 50,000
    K1 total 83,000
    % owned at beg of yr 33%
    % owned at end of yr 25%

Partner C's K1 will show:
    1-1 to 5-31 33,000
    6-1 to 12-31 50,000
    K1 total 83,000
    % at beg 33%
    % at end 25%

Partner D's K1 will show:
    1-1 to 5-31 0
    6-1 to 12-31 50,000
    K1 total 50,000
    % at beg 0%
    % at end 25%

Sound pretty straight forward to me but I don't do a lot of partnership
    returns.
    Does this sound about right?

Thanks,
    Harvey Lucas

Comment

You need.....

........... to also get the percentage of the annual profits based on the number of days as a member. That percent is how to allocate the total net profits for that year for each member. Going forward to next year will be a breeze.
      Last edited by BOB W; 03-30-2007, 02:19 PM.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Thank You Bob

Yes, that makes sense, I need to show each partners % of Profits/Losses at the beginning and end of the year. The %'s I listed above were only for the % of ownership.

To arrive at the % of Profit/Loss at year end, could I simply take the partners share of profit for 2006, and divide it by the total profit?

For example, I know that A's share of profit for the year is 84,000. The total partnership profit for the year is 300,000, that means that A's % of the total profit is 28%.

On A's K1, I list his % of profit at beginning of year at 33% and his end of year % of profit at 28%.

B's is 83,000 of 300,000 and so is beg yr 33%, his end of yr is 27.67%

C's is same as B's.

D's is 50,000 of 300,000 and so beg yr 0%, his end of year is 16.66%

Then for 2007, all partners are 25% beg and end of yr in all catagories, unless there is a change in 2007.

Sound OK?

Thanks,
        Harvey Lucas

Comment

Why is ............

................ A different than B & C?????

Ownership maybe should be shown as 33.333 for 2 members and 33.334 for the other. 1% can be a big number and is not a fair or accurate reporting for equal partners. The ownership percent can be carried out to even more places to get the figures even closer.

I would take the end of year profit and use the number of days owned by each partner to develop % of profit allocated to each partner.

The other choice is to review the profit at the end of 3 partner period and assign 1/3 to each of A B &C then take the 4 partner period and divide that period by 4 and develop that profit for each partner. Then add both periods together, per partner, and divide each partners $s into total profit to come up with % of profit for the year.
          Last edited by BOB W; 03-31-2007, 08:47 AM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Oops

Thanks Bob,

I made a mistake in my last post.

A's % was 34% at beg of year.

so 34 + 33 + 33 = 100

Thanks again, I think I've got it now.

Harvey Lucas

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
              ................ A different than B & C?????

Ownership maybe should be shown as 33.333 for 2 members and 33.334 for the other. 1% can be a big number and is not a fair or accurate reporting for equal partners. The ownership percent can be carried out to even more places to get the figures even closer.

I would take the end of year profit and use the number of days owned by each partner to develop % of profit allocated to each partner.

The other choice is to review the profit at the end of 3 partner period and assign 1/3 to each of A B &C then take the 4 partner period and divide that period by 4 and develop that profit for each partner. Then add both periods together, per partner, and divide each partners $s into total profit to come up with % of profit for the year.
              Harvey> Please reread the above more closely......33.333333333

Comment

?

Hi Bob,

I read it again? Am I missing something?

A,B, and C were not equal partners.

A was 34%, B was 33% and C was 33%.

34 + 33 + 33 = 100 right?

I did it on my calculator and got the same answer twice

Was there something else?

Good luck to you in the final stretch to April 15th.

Thank You,
                Harvey Lucas

Comment

I think

I think what Bob W is trying to convey, is not round the % up to a whole, but use fractions, such as 33.333, 33.333, and 33.334, makes a few dollars difference. Carry the decimal points. 3 or 4.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
                  X