Long Distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Distance?

Me- You checked no in your organiser indicating you don't have long distance service?

Client-?????? Long Distance what do you mean?

Me-Can you make long distance calls on your home or cell phone?

Client- I don't know?

Me-Could you call say to New York on your home phone?

Client-I don't know I've never tried.

Me-(five minutes into the converstaion) There is a tax credit available

Client-Oh yeah I call my sister in California all the time.

So the moral is mention the tax credit first and it will all fall into place.

Long distance

Mention the money first, eh? Okay, I'll keep it in mind.

Have to admit, I never would've thought about anybody not knowing what "long-distance" calls are. But, I guess the younger set never really has heard that phrase much or at all since there really isn't any long-distance anymore -- just so many cents per minute no matter where the call is going.

I can see it now -- the future for me, you, and the rest of the over-the-hill gang: We'll mention Elvis and somebody will say "Who?"

Comment

Long Distance???

I know that I usually trust people, but given your conversation with this guy, I think he thought there would be an extra tax on his long distance service and didn't want to pay it. That would have bothered me for two reasons. I don't like tax cheats even though I think most people pay more tax than they should. I'd like to think that's the primary reason I would be careful with this guy but there is also the fact that depending on the situation I could get in trouble when he does. I would make him provide more than the usual documentation for any deductions or credits for which he appeared to qualify. I would also keep very good notes on what he told me.

Comment

I'm not very good at

expressing myself. The narrative was a composite of at least a half a dozen similar conversations.

The point was this phone tax credit is something the IRS came up with to irritate us. Kinda like changing the mileage rate mid year.

Or maybe nobody else has experienced this?

Comment

Did you hear....

..... the latest, only 30% of all tax returns filed so far are claiming the phone credit.

Also, there is an 8% increase in self prepared elf returns from home computers.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
            Me- You checked no in your organiser indicating you don't have long distance service?

Client-?????? Long Distance what do you mean?

Me-Can you make long distance calls on your home or cell phone?

Client- I don't know?

Me-Could you call say to New York on your home phone?

Client-I don't know I've never tried.

Me-(five minutes into the converstaion) There is a tax credit available

Client-Oh yeah I call my sister in California all the time.

So the moral is mention the tax credit first and it will all fall into place.
            How is it going my southerly neighbor. I agree whole heartedly I have had this very same conversation myself on a few times. Sometimes people can be so dense.

Comment

It's going swimingly well

But I'm getting bored.

Comment

Working...
              X