Value of Prof Organizations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Value of Prof Organizations

There is an excellent article in Taxpro Monthly the March 2007 issue. "Why use a tax preparer when I can do it myself?" The article pinpoints the value of using professional tax preparers instead of doing it your self with cheap software so available to day.

Even tax preparers can miss something on a persons return. I have an older client and have done his returns for several years. Recently he moved into a skilled care unit. Since most of my older clients cannot itemize I quickly dismissed the possibility for him. He's spending about 42.000 a year for skilled care. He has a statemen t that a per centage of that is for medical expenses. I asked him to give me his papers again and I plan to do a 1040X for him. If I had not read that article I would have let that slide by. I can't sing the praises of NATP too much. We tax preparers need to belong to professional organizations, read their publications and keep learning from them. How stupid I felt after discovering the fact that he qualified for itemized deductions. I am always learning in this business. ARE You? or dont things like that happen to you.

I remember the first IRS tax forum I attended had the theme: "Tax Software is No substitute for Tax Knowledge" That helped me get over the fact that people could buy commercial software to do their own taxes. If we can't offer knowledge to our clients then we are a hopeless lot.

I will post this topic again after the tax season..

You are sooooooo right. I belong to NATP, CASTAP, NAEA, and a few others. The webboards and magazines they provide are invaluable. I have learned far more on the webboards such as this one than I have attending seminars.
    Dave, EA

Comment

Hallelujah!

Comment

Allelujah

and Amen and Amen!!

Comment

Value of Prof organizations

Let's have a revival meeting right here. Bird legs thanks for steering me to NATP. Sister Gabieile you can hold the money bags and pay the rest of us. Oh well back to the grind. Not many days left. Amen and Amen.

Comment

I am shocked, shocked, I tell you,

at the language in this thread. "Amen" is gender specific and therefore sexist language that continues the patriarchal domination of American society and stunts the emotional growth of small girls who hear it. Acceptable alternatives include but are not limited to "Apersons" and "Ahumanity".

I am reminded of the joke I encountered in the sixth grade.

Why do we say amen after singing a hymn at church?
            Because we sing hymns not hers.

Comment

Amen

I'm puzzled. I thought amen meant so let it be. Humor I can see but sexist dominated comments have no place even in church.

Comment

Speaking of DIY tax software

This was posted on Yahoo! Financial, I like his concluding sentence. If they would just learn that EAs and other tax professionals exist and not just CPAs.

Daniel
                "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

Amen

Dumb me. It's take a while for me to get things. I am slow to grasp anything. so you there lets say a-it .Like Hank Williams "I Saw the Light"

Comment

Working...
                  X