Mississippi state tax - All States Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mississippi state tax - All States Edition

Guess I just thought the Deluxe Edition was enough and who needs that ASE (I figured all along that Brad/Paul were just writin' that stuff to pass the time in Froze-Up, Minnesota).

I'm trying to figure out if MS has an exemption from tax for pensions received by full-year Mississippi residents. Arkansas lets you subtract $6,000 off whatever is the taxable amount in box 2-A of the 1099-R. I've got an MS instruction book, but it doesn't say -- or at least I can't find it if it does.

Quote from that book-page 6-line 43-Total Pensions and Annuities:
    "Enter the total amount of taxable pensions and annuities received on this line. Pensions that are taxable as early (5329)...do not qualify for exemption from Mississippi income tax."

It does not explicitly state that ordinary qualified distributions are exempt (either fully or partially) from MS tax. But; by stating that the early-birds are not exempt, it implies (to me) that other pensions are.

Anybody know? If so, what amount?

Checked on of my all states books.

and you are correct, normal distributions from pensions are exempt. Social security also, said something about a reconciliation on form MS-3.

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
    X