Client in prison...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client in prison...

Client started a business (sole prop) buying and selling firearms in 2005. The 2005 returns were filed without including the Sch C. (Client is sure there was a loss for 2005 business.) Anyways, he is now in prison for buying and selling firearms while charged with a felony. I told him we need to amend the 05 returns and include the business income/loss. The ATF has seized all of his inventory/guns, about $6k, and all of his records and receipts. How should this be handled??

What tax software are you using?
    Dave, EA

Comment

Client in Prison

What difference does it make which software is being used?

What's important is the preparer doesn't have business records to work with to prepare the return?.

I suggest you speak to client's attorney and mention that the government has confiscated the business records and a proper filing can't be based on estimates.
      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Re Prison...

If it matters, I'm using ATX. So, do you suggest leaving it alone, since I do not have any numbers to use?? Also, what about 2006, he says he had a few sales in 06. I have the sales tax report (but no expenses), can I use that for the income??

Comment

Working...
        X