Tax-exempt interest, box 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax-exempt interest, box 9

Has anyone encountered this yet. The new reporting requirements has two boxes for tax-exempt interest, box 8=tax-exempt interest and box 9=specified private activity bond interest (which is subject to AMT).

My question is in regards to the treatment on state tax returns. Are amounts in box 9 still deemed to be tax-free for state purposes in the state they originate?

Hope I made myself clear.

I have been........

....... approaching this as, Pr Act Bond is included in the Tax exempt interest and only put that figure on the 6251. I do review the detail of the Tax Free to verify that it is from the state of residence. If it is, I do nothing else, I don't think any futher about State beyond it origin.
    Last edited by BOB W; 03-20-2007, 08:30 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Which software do you use?

Gabriele, I believe that question is answered in TS Pro Software.

Comment

Thanks. Chief, I use ProSeries, I know you use TS, so what is your answer according to your software?

Comment

The only thing new is that the numbers are now on the 1099 instead of just on the broker statement. The reported tax-exempt interest (box 8) is exempt for federal but not necessarily exempt from state. The reporter usually provides a chart as to what percent is exempt for each state where the investment was located. And as was stated the private activity bond interest (box 9) is only a number to report on the form 6251.

Comment

Working...
          X