Depreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Depreciation

Client is a construction worker who works various temporary job sites in several states. He has purchased a travel trailer to provide his housing near each job site. May he claim depreciation on this trailer as an employee business expense or is this a non-deductible personal expense?

If he qualifies do claim out of town expenses, then, yes, depreciation may be claimed.

Comment

I'm curious...are these guys also provided a housing or reimbursement allowance of any kind?

Comment

Depreciation

Yes, they receive a per diem from each employer.

If depreciating the house trailer is OK, what life is used? I have one reference saying 7 yrs (GDS) and 10 yrs (ADS). I've read others that say it is 5 yr property. Because it is lodging, the IRS says it is not eligible for 179 expense deduction.

Note that the trailer qualifies as a second home to allow the deductibility of "mortgage" interest.

Comment

In my opinion, the trailer's depreciable life is 5 years, (Asset Class 00.27, Trailers and Trailer-mounted containers).

You have indicated the employee is receiving a per diem for housing and meals? Is that correct? If so, any deductions would be employee business expenses (Form 2106) subject to the 2% limitations. Second, only the amount the actual expenses exceeded the per diem amount would be deductible. As such, in my opinion, a calculation would be necessary to determine whether the there is any beneficial deduction after comparing actual expenses + trailer depreciation to the per diem amounts received. I would use a 5 year depreciable life on the trailer. Your added note that the interest on the trailer is second residence interest also suggests that the usage of the trailer isn't 100% business, this could also reduce the depreciation amount.

Of course, I could be wrong. Hopefully, my answer will stimulate other responses.
          Last edited by Zee; 03-23-2007, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Is the per diem included in box 1 of the W-2?

Comment

Originally posted by bayles View Post
              Yes, they receive a per diem from each employer.

If depreciating the house trailer is OK, what life is used? I have one reference saying 7 yrs (GDS) and 10 yrs (ADS). I've read others that say it is 5 yr property. Because it is lodging, the IRS says it is not eligible for 179 expense deduction.
              Bayles, where did you find the information that a trailer is not eligible for Sec.179?

Comment

tax home

Does your client have a tax home? From your post it seems to me that he does not. If not the trailer is not deductible or depreciable.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriele View Post
                  Bayles, where did you find the information that a trailer is not eligible for Sec.179?
                  Found it in Pub.225, but does it apply to farmers only?

Comment

Working...
                  X