Carry forward on stock loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carry forward on stock loss

I have a new client that has a stock loss carry forward from previous years with no idea on how much he has left. He also does not know when the losses started and hei previous tax guy did everything by hand so there is no record. Any ideas on how to get this information? The previous tax guy will not call me back so I am at a loss.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Superman

Thanks

So are you saying that if the client has no idea how much is left and we can not get it from the previous tax preparer wea are out of luck. The client can not find the original return the loss was on and they were done by hand so no computer records from anyone.

Comment

Several comments and replies have been deleted from this thread. Some were deleted because of antagonistic comments, some were deleted because of responses to those comments.

This Message Board is a service for tax professionals to engage in discussions. As has been stated before, we will not tolerate antagonistic comments. This is a service we provide free-of-charge, not an entitlement. Participants who post antagonistic or otherwise insulting comments will have their access revoked.

We try to err on the side of allowing questionable postings to remain in order to allow free flow of information. We ask that everyone take steps to help make sure that these discussions do not deteriorate into the realm of personal insults.

We reserve the sole right to make the determination of appropriate and inappropriate comments.

Comment

carryforward amount

>>how to get this information<<

The carryforward amount is found on Line 14 of Schedule D. If your client does not have a copy of last year's return, you can obtain it from the IRS.

Comment

Working...
        X