Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad News for C-corp Tax & Bookkeeping Firms

The latest on Tax & Bookkeeping firms that operate as C-corps:

"A company that employed individuals to provide tax return preparation and bookkeeping services is subject to the flat 35-percent tax rate applicable to qualified personal service corporations. Rainbow Tax Service, Inc. v. Commissioner, 128 T.C. No. 5 (3/8/07)."
    Dave, EA

Originally posted by dsi View Post
    The latest on Tax & Bookkeeping firms that operate as C-corps:

"A company that employed individuals to provide tax return preparation and bookkeeping services is subject to the flat 35-percent tax rate applicable to qualified personal service corporations. Rainbow Tax Service, Inc. v. Commissioner, 128 T.C. No. 5 (3/8/07)."
    Aren't HRB & JH C-Corporations?

Comment

Did I miss

something. I do not think that is a change.

Comment

HRB is a publicly traded company

Originally posted by Zee View Post
        Aren't HRB & JH C-Corporations?
        All publicly traded companies are C Corporations. Too many stockholders to be an S Corp.

Comment

Sole proprietors

That wouldn't apply to sole proprietorships or s corps with one shareholder/employee, would it?

Linda F

Comment

Originally posted by Linda F View Post
            That wouldn't apply to sole proprietorships or s corps with one shareholder/employee, would it?

Linda F
            PSC rules do not apply to S Corps or proprietorships.

Comment

Originally posted by JON View Post
              I do not think that is a change.
              It is not a change but a clarification. PSC applies to employee-owned C corporation that provide accounting services. CPAs have taken the position that only they can provide accounting services. So to avoid trouble with state laws we have been saying that bookkeeping and tax preparation is not accounting.

However three years ago I started getting letters from the IRS wanting to reclassify me as a PSC. But I then took the position that I spend more than 5% of my time in non-covered services. After three years of this I decided to stop fighting and am now a "non-profit" PSC even though only 90% of my services are accounting or consulting.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Btfsplk View Post
                All publicly traded companies are C Corporations. Too many stockholders to be an S Corp.
                Of course (duh...what was I thinking?)

Comment

Working...
                X