More eFile rejections for bad names this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More eFile rejections for bad names this year

Anybody else having the same problems? Seems like entity names that include an "&" are causing the most problems. We didn't have the same problem last year.

Does the IRS publish rules on how to enter names?

I was under the impression that you never could use symbols instead of words for electronic filing.
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
      I was under the impression that you never could use symbols instead of words for electronic filing.
      That's a true statement.

brian
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Spell It Out

The no special characters or symbols has been the rule since the inception of e-file. The only fields that can have special characters are street addresses, foreign cities, foreign states and tax form names.

Spell out "&" as "AND", 3 or mare characters for fractions and omit periods, comas, semicolons, parenthesis, etc.

Use the "find" tool in Acrobat Reader to find the exceptions and explanations in IRS pub 1345A for 2005.

If you want all the validation edits by form field see IRS pub 1346.

Comment

I just had one kick back because of a bad birthday. Strange. The woman said there was a mix up with her birth cirtificate years ago. I put in the bad birthday and it was accepted.

Odd, because she said the correct birthday worked in the prior year.

Comment

Did she have the telephone tax refund? Had one yesterday that has efiled for several years with no problem that rejected for DOB. Found out from IRS that they think he is under 11 years old (per SSA) and the only reason for rejection is they are checking DOB's on telephone tax refund. Have always been told they checked DOB on primary taxpayer and year of birth of dependents and not the DOB of spouse.

Comment

efile 502 error code

I had an 502 error. Checked the W2, EIN and employer name and all are correct.

Will have client check with employer to confirm, but if that is correct- what next? Paper file? Will that reject too??

Comment

EC,

Thanks for posting. She did have the telephone tax refund. (Seems like most everybody does.)

That would explain why it was never a problem for her until now.

Comment

Working...
                X