For dmj4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For dmj4

..who asked me a question in a previous thread long forgotten. I haven't been on the board in a few days, so I'll try to answer.

I have taken both the CPA and EA exams. I went a long time before taking the EA, but finally took it this fall because of probable forthcoming regulation. Results: I never passed the CPA exam because of failing the "Business Law" section, but was proud to score a 92 on the "Practice" section. I haven't been notified yet about the EA results, but the answers have been posted, and it looks like I've easily passed.

To answer your question, the EA exam is much more difficult in the tax arena, because it is the only arena. The CPA exam has a limited extent of tax questions in the "Practice" section, and the questions are easier. The material to study, however, for the CPA is enormous by comparison, as the CPA exam covers this huge scope of all economic factors, plus has an "essay" composition section as well.

dmj4, I think you are a Tennessee preparer too. Heard from a friend of mine in Arkansas a couple months ago who attended the Razorbacks opening game. He was whining and crying about his lousy team - "Can you believe it? We're SO BAD that we lost AT HOME to VANDERBILT!!!!" I sympathized for him, having full assurance that my Tennessee Vols would never be as bad as that.

Wonder if anyone else out there has taken both exams, and will confirm or deny my evaluation above...

Snag

I do appreciate your description of the two exams and the study materials. I have been very curious about the CPA exam since getting my EA two years ago. I did taxes for 10 or 11 years without the EA and I am proud to have it now. However, like most people I do KNOW that it really has nothing to do with what kind of job I do. Nobody around here knows what an EA is, so I have to explain it from time to time when a new client asks, "Are you a CPA or anything?" I do enjoy being able to respond to the "anything" part of that question after so many years.

My congratulations on passing the EA exam. You are a very knowledgeable, experinced and helpful. You have answerd many of my questions on this board and the other one. I remember one sitution when I had a question about the Hall Tax a couple of years ago. I don't want a state income tax but in some ways it would be great to put the old Hall Tax in the grave. Recently, I had quite a few post regarding a field audit. The audit has started and is not finished. We have had three days, so far. The days have been sporadic and the auditor has been easy to work with, so far. You took great time to give me many tips on how to deal with an audit and those suggestions were very helpful. There were many others who responded, and I am grateful to them, as well.

Yes, I am a fellow Tennessean. I am in Dickson, so we are really not too far from each other. I never thought I would see the day when UT would have this bad of a season. In my younger days being rebellious meant being a Vandy fan instead of a UT fan! Tennesseans do take our football seriously. As long as I can remember, there has been a sign put over a bridge in Dickson when the high school has an away game that reads, "The last one out of Dickson, turn off the lights!"

Comment

"Wonder if anyone else out there has taken both exams, and will confirm or deny my evaluation above..."

I only took the EA exam. A physicist has no need (and couldn't pass) the CPA exam.

Good luck Snaggletooth. I'm sure you passed with flying colors.

Gary

Comment

EA Exam

Snaggletooth,

Along with dmj4 and Gary, I'd like to congratulate you on passing the exam! I couldn't have written my sentiments about your contribution to all of us better than dmj4 did.

Again, congratulations!

Dennis

Comment

Working...
        X