Eic Over 65

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eic Over 65

Taxpayer over 65 and spouse is under 65. Taxpayer has earned income within range for
    EIC. Since spouse (who did not work at all) is under 65, does this joint return qulify for
    Eic?

Yes, they qualifies for EIC, See Form 8867 page 3 question 17.

Comment

Thanks

I was sure they did, but was questioning my self.

Thanks

Comment

EIC -- over 65

Yeah, I've got half a dozen or so of these -- husband's over 65 and wife's trailing behind a bit. They'll all be out of luck in two to five years when she hits the finish line.

Never have been quite sure of the government reasoning and rationale behind disqualifying everybody -- maybe this:

Under 25 (no kids): They're immature and goofy -- no point in giving them any money since they'll just blow it.

25-45 (with kids) They're in the prime of their working years -- if they're hustlers and go-getters, they're making too much to get it. Besides; what's the point of encouraging self-starters?.

45-65 (kids gone) Even if income's dropped off, they're still making too much by now for the "no kids" category. But they don't need extra money anyway -- they're not out painting the town; they're babysitting the grandkids.

Over 65 -- No point in wasting it -- they're all getting SS and will be dead in 15 years anyway.
        Last edited by Black Bart; 03-05-2007, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X