1065 to 1120S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1065 to 1120S

Two owner LLC who has previously filed 1065 filed 2553 and got IRS approval for S effective Jan 1, 06. Both capital accounts in 1065 are negative due to large depreciation of trucks, they are in the waste hauling business (not the Sporano's). The business has continued in operation under the same name and ID numbers. Can I just continue on with the same opening balance sheet on the 1120S as would have been on the 1065?
    John

Off hand I can't locate a reference for you on this subject except TTB 20-12 under the heading of Publicly Traded Partnerships (PTPs) where it states: (see attached)
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks

Thanks Jack!!
      John

Comment

Go for it

Originally posted by John3cpa View Post
        Two owner LLC who has previously filed 1065 filed 2553 and got IRS approval for S effective Jan 1, 06. Both capital accounts in 1065 are negative due to large depreciation of trucks, they are in the waste hauling business (not the Sporano's). The business has continued in operation under the same name and ID numbers. Can I just continue on with the same opening balance sheet on the 1120S as would have been on the 1065?
        I see no reason why not. So equity is a negative. "We" can't insist that clients contribute
        enough cash to make it positive.

However I can't see how large accumulated depreciation would in itself cause negative
        equity. After all, we can't depreciate any asset lower than cost, right? Must be some
        other reason which will show on balance sheet as the cause of negative equity. Like
        negative retained earnings balanced by a lot of debt.
        ChEAr$,
        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
        X