Blankety, Blank 8913

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blankety, Blank 8913

Is there a worksheet somewhere in TaxBook that I can email or fax to clients to explain and capture info related to this blankety, blank Congressional (pain in the neck) wonderful idea. Or am I over reacting? I'd like to hear some of your approaches to this one.
    John

Originally posted by John3cpa View Post
    Is there a worksheet somewhere in TaxBook that I can email or fax to clients to explain and capture info related to this blankety, blank Congressional (pain in the neck) wonderful idea. Or am I over reacting? I'd like to hear some of your approaches to this one.
    I've done one 8913 so far and didn't have much trouble with it. Client knew they needed amounts from each month and computed this and had it all written out on a piece of paper as to how much she paid each month in excise tax. I added the 3 month totals together while she was here to fill in the form. It is all in 3 month increments begining with Mar, Apr, May of 2003 and ending with a 2 month period of June and July of 2006. I would just tell them to add up totals for each month or you could even ask them to total the 3 month periods. I've explained to everyone they have this option but so far only 1 has done so. Most don't even have the phone bills and even if they do, they don't want to go to the trouble of getting them and going through them. I feel better giving my customer the option and letting them make the choice, knowing most will take the standard. I didn't think the form was that hard to do.

Bonnie

Comment

First, I personally do not think that a client will gain enough doing the actual to go through the problems. However, if anyone thinks about going the long way, I will also explain to them that I will probably charge them enough more to file the longer form that will offset any gain that they will come up with. So far, it has not mattered to anyone. The minute that I mention 3 1/2 years of phone bills, I don't even get to finish the explanation, before they say, "Im not interested".

LT
      Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

[QUOTE=thomtax;32142]First, I personally do not think that a client will gain enough doing the actual to go through the problems. However, if anyone thinks about going the long way, I will also explain to them that I will probably charge them enough more to file the longer form that will offset any gain that they will come up with. So far, it has not mattered to anyone. The minute that I mention 3 1/2 years of phone bills, I don't even get to finish the explanation, before they say, "Im not interested".

The customer I did the 8913 for it was a benefit for her. The standard credit would have been $40 for a MFJ return. Both had cell phones with separate plans as they were not married the entire 41 months. When she added up the excise tax the refund was $129. Like I said, she did all the work and it took me probably about 5 min to enter the info in the program. So it wasn't a lot of work on my part. I guess if I figured in my time explaining to her what to do it would be a little longer. Not much trouble to do the form for her. I have one other customer I know of who is working on getting the info together. He is single so standard is only $30. Over the 41 months of the credit a daughter and family lived with him and they made lots of long distance calls so it will probably benefit him too.

Bonnie

Comment

8913 a Pain

I don't understand why this credit was done through the Tax Return Filings.

I have made a couple of clients happy with their little $30-$40 refunds (some seniors), but have found that most t/p don't have their phone bills. Still some clients just are not even aware of the credit.

So if I can check the box in my computer software, takes just a second or two, the ones that wonder, I have explained if I have to calculate and actually fill out the form, the charge will more than likely be as much as the credit or more.

Like Bonnie, if they want to complete and do all the calculations and all I have to do is transfer to the actual 8913 form, then the fee will be less, but there will be a fee!

Can you print out the worksheet from your tax software?? Here is the link to the actual form which they could also complete and should match your software input http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8913.pdf

Sandy

Comment

Working...
          X