Partial Liquidation & proceeds from settlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Partial Liquidation & proceeds from settlement

Owned a shares in a small company that is being liquidated. Received a 1099-B for a mere fraction of what I invested. I assume liquidating distributions are considered return on capital and as a result I don't have to enter on my return?

In another company, I received $20 due to a Securities Settlement Fund. When a company gets sued by shareholders or the SEC and there is a payout, is it taxable? I just got a check for the $20 but no form saying it was reported to the IRS.

one out of two

Originally posted by Ryndam View Post
    Owned a shares in a small company that is being liquidated. Received a 1099-B for a mere fraction of what I invested. I assume liquidating distributions are considered return on capital and as a result I don't have to enter on my return?

all proceeds from any 1099-B are reported on your return, most probably on schedule d.
    And you will have gain or loss, depending.

In another company, I received $20 due to a Securities Settlement Fund. When a company gets sued by shareholders or the SEC and there is a payout, is it taxable? I just got a check for the $20 but no form saying it was reported to the IRS.
    Sorry, no answer for this one, but I would suggest you err on the side of caution here,
    and report the 20$ on line 21 of your 1040.

BTW, I sailed on a ship with your name on it last year. Ship is owned by
    Holland America, one of the very best lines in the world.
    ChEAr$,
    Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

one out of two

Originally posted by Ryndam View Post

On the first questions, all proceeds from any 1099-B are reported on your return, most probably on schedule d.
      And you will have gain or loss, depending.

Now, for the second one:
      Sorry, no answer for this one, but I would suggest you err on the side of caution here,
      and report the 20$ on line 21 of your 1040.

BTW, I sailed on a ship with your name on it last year. Ship is owned by
      Holland America, one of the very best lines in the world.
      ChEAr$,
      Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
      X