Sales tax on generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sales tax on generator?

Do you think the sales tax on a generator (cost almost $4000) would be one of the additions to the sales tax table?

It is a large purchase.......a older used car could cost the same...

It's a possibility??? Any opinions?

Linda F

Generator

Yes any sales tax imposed on and paid by the purchaser is deductible as sales tax.

Comment

Sales tax added to tax tables

I don't think the generator qualifies as an add-on to the sales tax tables.

While sales tax on the generator may be deductible if your client has enough receipts to exceed the tax tables, I don't think you can add the tax on the generator.

See TaxBook 4-9 and there is a list of items that can be added on. Generator does not come under any of those listed.
      Jiggers, EA

Comment

I'm sure the ...........

.......... list is not all inclusive. I take anything that is out of the ordinary, one time expense and $2,000 or more.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Agree with Jiggers. Pub. 600 says add tax paid on "certain specified items" to table amount. Items are specified on p. 4-9 TTB & in Pub 600.

Comment

generator

And a generator, being personal property, could not even be included in the "substantial addition to or major renovation of a home."
            ChEAr$,
            Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

not all inclusive

>>I'm sure the list is not all inclusive. I take anything that is out of the ordinary, one time expense and $2,000 or more.<<

What do you base this position on, Bob?

Comment

Working...
              X