Filing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing Advice

Husband and Wife filed joint in 2005. In 2006, husband went from CA to NV for internship and schooling for 9 months (April - Dec.) They own home in CA and itemized in 2005. All of husband's income is in NV and all of wife's income is in CA. If they file MFS and wife itemizes for the house etc deductions, the husband must also itemize even though he will have nothing to claim. Would it be better to file joint again and would he have to claim his income on their CA return or file a joint return for NV. Would he be considered a part time resident in CA or NV? Your thoughts please....
    Bill

The way to decide

Originally posted by B C View Post
    Husband and Wife filed joint in 2005. In 2006, husband went from CA to NV for internship and schooling for 9 months (April - Dec.) They own home in CA and itemized in 2005. All of husband's income is in NV and all of wife's income is in CA. If they file MFS and wife itemizes for the house etc deductions, the husband must also itemize even though he will have nothing to claim. Would it be better to file joint again and would he have to claim his income on their CA return or file a joint return for NV. Would he be considered a part time resident in CA or NV? Your thoughts please....
    The only way to tell would be to calculate it each way and see which produces the best results.

Comment

Originally posted by B C View Post
      Unless he changed his residency which I doubt, he will have to file Ca return . I think it would be better to file jointly . I do not think NV has a state tax. therefore all of his income will be taxed in CA.

The experts from CA will provide a lot more help

brian
      Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Let us not forget..

that both those states are community property. Add up the income, divide by two, put 1/2 on each MFS return to produce twice the work and no benefit.

Sorry..

BTW, got a client one time with NV residence, CA income and Idaho(!) found it when they moved here later in the year.

Comment

Since the husband has only left CA for a temporary purpose, he's still a CA resident.

Comment

Working...
          X