Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/R and A/P showing up on Cash basis report in QB???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/R and A/P showing up on Cash basis report in QB???

I have a client that entered a bill for the purchase of a computer from Best Buy. I think because its an asset account and not an expense account it is messing up my cash basis reports. I also have a client that enters a journal entry for her cash register activity each day (may receive payments on accounts, etc.). It is messing up her cash basis reports too. Is there any easy way to fix these problems?

Thanks in advance.

Hire a professional bookkeeper.

Comment

Charge her to do the books for her

Many folks on this board won't do returns for businesses that they don't do the books for. I've never had that rule, but as my practice is growing and I need to weed out the headaches I'm thinking of adopting that rule.

Comment

On the A/R and A/P accounts do a QuickReport for the year. Look down the report. It should equal eventually equal to zero. If not you have credits on A/P that shouldn't be there and payments on A/R that were not applied to invoices. You have to through until you find the invoice/bill that is causing the problem and clear it out.

I'm not sure what to tell you on the cash register part.

Comment

entering a bill ..

with an offset to a balance sheet acount is part of the problem. Clear that and you will fix part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by outwest View Post
            with an offset to a balance sheet acount is part of the problem. Clear that and you will fix part of the problem.

Thanks.... I realize this is the problem. I am just trying to figure out how to avoid the problem in the future. If they buy a fixed asset, it should go to the asset account. I guess I will simply have ot fix these as they occur. I was just curious how people were dealing with this problem. I suspect I will create a "wash" income or expense account to run the activity through. I will change the bill to go to this new "wash" account and then I will post an entry out of the "wash" account into the fixed asset account.

Anyone else have any comments. Someone has to be dealing with this problem in Quick Books.

Comment

just change to an asset account in the bill. The audit trail keeps track of changes that are made but I also put my initals in the memo to know that I changed it. There is no need for a wash account.

Comment

Originally posted by geekgirldany View Post
                just change to an asset account in the bill. The audit trail keeps track of changes that are made but I also put my initals in the memo to know that I changed it. There is no need for a wash account.
                See that is the problem. There IS an Asset account in the bill. I think it needs to be an income account.

Comment

Working...
                X