Client worked in Afghanistan!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client worked in Afghanistan!!

I have a client who lived/worked in Afghanistan last year. He recieved a W-2 with no w/h, FICA or Med. I can't seem to find if there are any treaties concerning this. He was basically military support staff.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Marilyn
    Lost in .....Tax season

Lots of

questions. Was he there for a year or more 330 days for the foreign exclusion? The lack of FICA says more I think. He must have a treaty or was a resident there? It is nice if you can contact the payor. Good luck, and let us know. Supposed ly I have one returning in May from Duba(SP) after serving a year contract. A US Foreign subsidiary is giving him a W-2 supposedly does have Fica and he probably qualifies for the foreign exclsion 2006, but not 2007. Then I am told he has a resident status there. I may let someone else have that return.

Comment

The w-2 issued by US govt?

The w-2...was it for military pay and issued by the US govt or a US payor? There is no tax treaty with Afghanistan and the US but military wages and active combat wages are reported differently on the US return

Comment

Not Military

He is just military support...working on base. He was there for 1yr contract and is begining a second year contract. I thought I found a Tax treaty with afghanistan that began before 1980 but has not been revoked. Tough case...
        Marilyn
        Lost in .....Tax season

Comment

Marilyn, check your TTB pp. 14-11 & 14-12, plus the instructions for Form 2555. I didn't do any in '05, but did some in '03 & '04 and I don't remember needing treaty info, but maybe I've just forgotten the details. But I believe those clients had SS/Medicare taxes w/h. Good luck with it!
          Last edited by BP.; 02-17-2007, 06:45 PM.

Comment

I think you

need a treaty or residency help to be exempt from FICA, but let us know. Call the employer.

Comment

Working...
            X