Taxpayer name change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxpayer name change

Preparing an 05 '"single" return for a new lady client who married in 06 and who has properly changed her name with Soc Sec. Do I file her 05 return under her new married name??
    John

I think I would try using her name as it currently appears on her SS card. Then, if that didn't work I would revert to her old name.
    Dave, EA

Comment

I have no proof of this answer but I think I would use her name as it apprears now on the soc card.

Comment

Thanks guys...that was my inclanation as well.
        John

Comment

It won't bounce!

Since John isn't e-filing, he won't know for several months if there is a problem. (I also vote to go with her current name - the one that matches her SS card.)

Comment

It really dosen't matter with paper returns because IRS corrects inhouse to the name on their file as submitted by SSA. That's why many people who have paper filed for years are surprised when they e-file about name mismatchs. I know I filed for 28 years with my ex-spouses wrong last name because she had never changed at SSA, but in the paper days it didn't matter. e-file last names (1st 4 letters) must match SSA records.

Comment

Working...
            X