Reference book for Calif

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reference book for Calif

Does anyone know of or use a reference book similar to TheTaxBook that is only for the state of California? If not, what are you California preparers using as a guide for California taxes?

Calif Ref

I use the All States published by The Tax Book, it is awesome, then go to the appropriate state. If need more info go to that States Web page. See the Links above and The Board has given you the direct link to each State if you need more info.

In Calif, so I have a lot of the Calif reference bookmarked on my Favorites.

Sandy

Comment

Ca

I just use the Internet, FTB site or pubs CA puts out.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but my needs for info for the State are not too many, so these accomplish what I need.

Dennis

Comment

Spidell

Spidell at www.caltax.com is in a category by themselves. Although it is not written as a fast reference like The TaxBook, their big blue book is a comprehensive authority on payroll, estate, sales, and property tax as well as income tax. It also explains how to appeal and submit offers in California.

One way to approach California taxes is to concentrate on Schedule CA, which adjusts for "conformity," the differences between the federal and state rules. Nobody but nobody has better guidance for that.

I always attend the Spidell update seminar and I subscribe to their monthly newsletter. They also publish separate guides about non-residents, entities, and some other things.

Comment

Thanks

for the feedback. Jainen, thanks for the link to Spidell.
          Last edited by skhyatt; 02-15-2007, 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Jainen

Do you use just the spidell book or the online research tools also?

Comment

I'm old-fashioned

>>Do you use just the spidell book or the online research tools also?<<

I'm old-fashioned. I like the real thing, something I can get my hands on (and sink my teeth into, when the going gets tough). Why, I don't even have a computer. My son set one up here a few years back but I never learned to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by jainen View Post
                Spidell at www.caltax.com is in a category by themselves. Although it is not written as a fast reference like The TaxBook, their big blue book is a comprehensive authority on payroll, estate, sales, and property tax as well as income tax. It also explains how to appeal and submit offers in California.

One way to approach California taxes is to concentrate on Schedule CA, which adjusts for "conformity," the differences between the federal and state rules. Nobody but nobody has better guidance for that.

I always attend the Spidell update seminar and I subscribe to their monthly newsletter. They also publish separate guides about non-residents, entities, and some other things.
                How does the Spidell book compare to similar books by CCH, RIA, etc. I have used the CCH book before and wasn't overwhelmed.

Comment

Spidell book

I ordered the Spidell A&E book the other day and thus far am very impressed. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Comment

a problem with CCH

>>I have used the CCH book before and wasn't overwhelmed.<<

I used CCH through last year. The Spidell book was useless when it first came out because it didn't have an index, so I waited a few years before trying it again. So far I haven't had many California issues come up, but one thing I've already noticed with satisfaction -- the big blue book is easy to find, something that was always a problem with CCH!

Comment

Working...
                    X