Deed in lieu of forclosure/1099-C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deed in lieu of forclosure/1099-C

I have a client who did a deed in lieu of forclosure in 2006. She purchased her this home which she lived in as her principal residence for $320,000. She received a 1099-C Cancellation of Debt with an amount of $312,000 in box 2. Amount of canceled debt and an amount of $300,000 in box 7 Fair market value of property.

With all 1099-C's I have seen it all becomes taxable as other income on the front page, but this cannot all be taxable, right? But if I do not reported it the IRS computer will spit it out and they will want to know why it wasnt reported. How do I show it on the return and also show the basis so that it is not all taxable. Do I just leave it off the return and attach a message that explains the situation?

Has anybody had this situation and how are we suppose to handle it? I am sure we will be seeing more and more of this as people's arms begin to run out.

If you know what I should do I would greatly appreciate a response. Thanks to all.

Rocketman

121 exclusion?

It seems to me without researching that if folks owned and lived in the property for more than 2 years that this should be subject to the section 121 exclusion as they have in essence "sold" the house to the mortgage co.

Comment

Agree. 121 applies.

Comment

Working...
      X