Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two questions, not sure how to title them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two questions, not sure how to title them?

First of all, I apologize ahead of time if these questions are worded in a confusing manner. I haven't been feeling the best the past few days (stomach flu bug) and don't feel quite up to par.

I am preparing a return for a special man to me, my grandpa. We lost my dear grandma in September to cancer "of unknown origin". My grandpa is a smart man, but never handled any of the "business aspects" to their life. He never even wrote out a personal check until after she passed. Now, it's all in his hands and I didn't want to see him going to someone to have his taxes done. My grandma always did them herself and asked me 2 weeks before she passed if I'd take care of the taxes for grandpa. It's my 3rd year preparing returns, and I still have a lot to learn. But I want to help him in any way that I can.

That said, here's what I am faced with. I understood all of the other income/deduction information my grandpa got together for me, but there were 2 pieces of information that I am not sure about.

He received a statement from a Flexible Premium Deferred Annuity. It's labeled as: Tax Qualification: Deferred Comp. The details say :

Surrender amount: $208.82
    Surrender requested: $208.82
    Federal Tax Withheld: -$208.82
    Amount disbursed: $0.00

Grandpa said he had the whole amount go to pay federal tax. It also has an asterick at the bottom of the sheet that says "The IRS requires that $208.82 be declared as taxable income. Now where on earth do I put this on his return? He hasn't received any other statements regarding this amount. He's got everything very organized for me, so I know he's not missing it; but maybe has not received a proper form yet; for tax preparation.

Second question:
    He received a Form 5498 IRA Contribution Information Form. All of the amounts in the boxes have zero's in them. Grandpa told me that my grandma held an amount of $68,000 from Profit Sharing in an IRA. And that amount is not taxable until he decides to draw on on it. Do I need to fill out a form with the information provided on the 5498 if everything is all zero's?

Thanks!!

The 208.82 should go on line 15b as taxable income. He should have received a 1099R for this amount. You would also show the $208.82 as fedeeral withholding. The 5498 is just a reporting of IRA account. It should show the fair market Value of the account at the end of the tax year alon=g with any distributions or contributions. If they didn't take anything out then you don't need to do anything with this. If your grandmother was over 70.5 she should have a RMD form the IRA.

Comment

Thanks Bucky, just as I suspected, but now confirmed!

I appreciate your response. I hate when I doubt myself, but always better safe then sorry. I'll talk to my grandpa and see about the 1099R that he doesn't believe he's received (the letter he got was dated from August).

The 5498 makes sense to me now that you explained it. They didn't take anything out, so it's just a statement of value as you said. Grandma was 68 when she passed. Too young, definitely too young.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X