Amended Returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amended Returns

For the Explanation section of the 1040X, the instructions say to give a line by line explanation for each line that changes. I have always done it this way even though most of the lines are self explanatory.

It takes a lot of time and I find it to be tedious work. A friend of mine in the tax business says he just basically explains what was left off or what he needed to change and lets them know what attachments are attached. He says he never explains line by line what the changes are and that he has never had a problem.

How are all of you handling your amended returns? Do you just give a brief explanation and attach any schedules that are new or changed or do you do a line by line explanation on all the changes.

Lester

I might be the odd man out.

I explain every line. Even if the change in the line is due to the change in another line. I also attach any schedule that changed even if the change was dependent on another schedule. I also mark each attached page, DO NOT FILE. I have had the IRS claim the attachments to an amended return were processed as a duplicate original, lack of signatures not withstanding.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

I too

just give a basic explanation. Sometimes in the explain by doing a "line 19 did read $0; should read $1800" and then go to tax line "line 44 did read $xx; should be $yy" and then down to refund/owe section. If error was on a schedule those must be attached so I also make reference to the did read, should read on them. I've never had a problem.

Comment

I feel your pain

>>It takes a lot of time and I find it to be tedious work<<

I feel your pain but I don't know how to turn you on to the thrill of the chase that every 1040X presents. There's only five little lines for the explanation, which kind of indicates that most amended returns only involve one or two issues.

Comment

I only explain the line that actually changes everything else with a description as to why the change is needed. I then attach 1040, page 1, marked "original return" and 1040, page 1, marked "amended return as of 00/00/00". If the change was major on a particular form I also attach that form marked amended to the 1040, page 1, "amended...."

I don't think the IRS is really interested in an explanation of the tax difference on the line of where the tax is calculated as their computer does that.

I should also state though that I have not filed an amended 1040 for several years and maybe the requirements have changed.

Comment

Amended Returns

I write lines 1,2,5,8, are changed because of whatever.I never got any static from the IRS.

Comment

Working...
            X