Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professor with Education Expensees

If someone could verify my assumptions on this, I'd be grateful:

Professor at a state University is working on his PH D, which he is required to have after so many years. He has to travel a number of miles several times a week to get this, but is working on it over several years.

Reviewing TB 4-25 and 4-26, I believe the education and books are deductible as an employee expense. But can any of the education credits be used? Also, I belive mileage is not deductible, as the courses will be over seveal years.

Anything I am missing?

Thanks

TTB, page 12-2 under Education Credits says "reduce qualified expenses by...expenses claimed as business expense or other deduction."

So you have to decide whether it is better to take a business deduction, or the Lifetime Learning Credit for the expense.

As to the temporary rule for mileage, that only applies to the round trip costs from home to school and back. Mileage is always deductible for the trip from work to school.

Comment

Education expenses

You can split the expenses and take tuition and fees using Lifetime Learning credits and use the expenses for books and mileage as work-related expenses.

Comment

Professor with Education Expenses

Thanks folks- your assistance is appreciated!

Comment

Working...
        X