Phone Tax Refund for Nonresident Alien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phone Tax Refund for Nonresident Alien

Form 1040EZ-T has very explicit instructions on how to claim the FET refund if you don't have an SSN. A nonresident alien without an SSN can claim the refund by attaching certified copies of identification documents to prove identity and foreign status. The ID requirements are exactly the same as the requirements for an ITIN application (Form W-7).

It is clear from the instructions that for someone who does not have an SSN, an ITIN is not required for Form 1040EZ-T, and the form can be filed without even applying for an ITIN.

My question is:

Although it isn't required, is there any indication that an ITIN application is somehow prohibited?

In other words...

Could a nonresident alien who isn't eligible for an SSN obtain an ITIN by submitting Form W-7 together with Form 1040EZ-T?

The instructions for Form W-7 indicate that the ITIN application has to be attached to a tax return.

Form 1040EZ-T is a tax return, isn't it?

Or is it just a request for a refund of the FET for individuals who are not otherwise required to file a tax return?

Burton M. Koss
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

I wouldn't call a 1040EZ-T a tax return. I'd call it a pain in the neck.

Yes, technically it is a tax return. It is returning tax you paid. Just follow the instructions as provided and don't try to make any sense out of it, or try to do something not listed in the instructions.

Burton, no offense, but your problem is you keep trying to read between the lines and apply logic and fairness to our income tax system. Our system of taxes has nothing to do with logic and fairness. It is about following a bunch of illogical stupid rules that selfish politicians invent and pass with no forethought on un-intended consequences. Most politicians passing these rules can’t even figure out how to do their own simple tax return. You will drive yourself crazy if you keep thinking taxes are anything more than that.
    Last edited by Brad Imsdahl; 02-05-2007, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X