Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage or Actual Expenses

I'm a little confused.

During recent update schools with NSTP and NATP, it was mentioned that if you use two vehicles at the same time then you must use the actual expenses instead of the standard mileage rate.

However, on the IRS website, it states that you can't use more than five vehicles at the same time and claim the mileage.

What am I missing?

The rule for 2 vehicles was changed to 5 several years ago. TTB, page 10-5 also says the taxpayer cannot use five or more cars at the same time for business.

Comment

Standard

Originally posted by quicksam View Post
      I'm a little confused.

During recent update schools with NSTP and NATP, it was mentioned that if you use two vehicles at the same time then you must use the actual expenses instead of the standard mileage rate.

However, on the IRS website, it states that you can't use more than five vehicles at the same time and claim the mileage.

What am I missing?
      Somebody at the schools had their wires crossed. You can take the standard mileage rate for four autos that are on the road at the same time. When you go to five, you're out of luck.

Go to Google, type in "Publication 463", click on it and you'll get "Travel, Entertainment, Gift, and Car Expenses," Arrow over to page 16, then scroll to Example 3 and that'll do it (it's not a really good example, but it's about as clear as IRS can make it).

Comment

Working...
      X