Social Security Disability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been unable to gain, or maintain gainful employment for most of my life due to mental and emotional disabilities that I have been being treated for, for a good number of years. I, therefore don't have much paid into SS. What are the alternatives, or are there special provisions for those like myself?

SS Disability

I would recommend a good social security attorney then a competent tax person.Your question is asked on the wrong Board. This Board is for professional Tax Preparers.

Comment

Social Security was designed for people who have paid into the system. If you haven't paid into the system, there are state welfare programs designed to help people like you.

Comment

You can't maintain employment,

but you can search the internet to find a forum on which to ask your question, you can phrase the question well enough for us to understand it and you were competent enough to register as a user of this site.

I'm not sure what kind of employment you are looking for, but it seems you could get a job working in an office somewhere doing administrative work, receiving $30-50k per year.

But, of course, you would have to get out of bed, take a shower, drive to work, stay there all day, and do this over and over and over.

Oh well, life's a b**ch!

Comment

Qualifying

Originally posted by fritzi View Post
          I have been unable to gain, or maintain gainful employment for most of my life due to mental and emotional disabilities that I have been being treated for, for a good number of years. I, therefore don't have much paid into SS. What are the alternatives, or are there special provisions for those like myself?
          I don't know of any alternatives, but before I gave up on Social Security I think I'd check it out first and see just exactly how much you do have paid in to them -- at one time I think you only had to have worked ten quarters (2 1/2 years) to draw some amount of "regular" SS, although I think it's quite a bit tougher to collect disability SS.

You can call 800-772-1213 which is the the national number, but it's one of those computer menu things that are hard to negotiate, so if there's a local office I'd contact them and try to get a real human being case worker to help me if I could.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
            but you can search the internet to find a forum on which to ask your question, you can phrase the question well enough for us to understand it and you were competent enough to register as a user of this site.

I'm not sure what kind of employment you are looking for, but it seems you could get a job working in an office somewhere doing administrative work, receiving $30-50k per year.

But, of course, you would have to get out of bed, take a shower, drive to work, stay there all day, and do this over and over and over.

Oh well, life's a b**ch!

Welcome! To the not so subtle club.

Comment

Say Josh

Originally posted by JoshinNC View Post
              Say Josh - would you like to kick his dog too?
              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Hey guys

give this guy a break. Unless you have had someone in your family with mental illness, you might not understand how difficult it is for them to maintain steady employment.

My 34 year old daughter is bi-polar. Before we found out what was wrong with her, she had had 17 employers in 3 years. And a couple of those were temp agencies. She was at a point that no one would hire her because she had worked so many places. She never lasted more than 3 months at any job.

She tried for disability. But didn't get it. The judge basically said she spoke articulately and was dressed nicely. She was able to talk to him intelligently so even though she had severe problems they weren't severe enough.

She has been in a manic episode since August and can't concentrate on anything for more than a few minutes. Or even be still or stay in one place.

So being able to communicate this persons situation doesn't mean that he doesn't have a problem.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Linda F

Comment

Other Programs

You might also seek out your State Programs and then there is also the Federal SSI program.

Seems you have the internet so try SSA.gov and your local state page.

Sandy

Comment

My brother draws SS disability benefits,

and has for many years. However, he is still able to get up every morning and surf the internet, read the paper, write poetry and lead a normal life. Prior to walking into the psychiatrists office when he was being evaluated he told my mother, "I'll be outta here in in 15 minutes" (this was an hour long session). 10 minutes lated the psychiatrist walks out, tells my mother "he's crazy" and recommends the benefits begin. My brother had sadistically planned the entire ordeal and got what he wanted. There are other members of my family who draw benefits, and don't deserve them. So, I do have firsthand knowledge of the way in which people manipulate the system. I still say that if this poster can do everything he/she has done up to this point, they can find a job too.

And now I'll get off my soapbox.

Comment

Whether or not this poster is trying to scam Social Security is irrelevant. The system simply does not accommodate disabled people who have not earned enough credits for Social Security Disability. TTB, page 22-2 lists the number of credits a person needs based on age for when they qualify for disability benefits. Not enough credits? Sorry, no Social Security Benefits.

Rather than insult this poster's question, why not state the facts and the alternatives, such as SSI or other State welfare programs. If the government provides these benefits, then qualifying people should not have to be insulted for receiving such benefits.

If you don't like the welfare system in this country, then vote in politicians who will repeal it.

And if you don't like people who cheat the system, then turn them in to the authorities. If you don't turn in your cheatin' relatives, then you really have no right to complain about it when others cheat.

Comment

It is true than many abuse the system and it is true that enough do so to make you
                        sick to your stomach but there are those who really have a problem.
                        Some are well educated, work hard, always on time etc etc and still cannot hold a
                        job for long. Some truely want to do like others. They should look for help from
                        any source and if they get on the wrong board be told so but not insulted or degraded.
                        These people usually suffer enough of that. Many good suggestions have already
                        been brought out in this post and I would suggest the right church, even churches
                        are not always helpful for these problems.
                        My feelings have not been hurt cause this individual reached out here. I cannot tell
                        whether he is sincere or not. Some old indian said that you don't judge a person
                        until you walk a mile in his moccasins. I havn't walked a inch in his.

Comment

Working...
                        X