assisted living expenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

assisted living expenses

I had a quick question. I have a friend who asked me about something regarding her mother. Her mother has no income, and wouldn't need to file a return, but in January through March of 2006, she paid her own assisted living expenses at a "home". Then in April, the county took over paying. Is there any tax benefit she can get from what she did pay out? Thanks for any direction you can give me.

Probably not. Part of assisted living costs could be medical expenses. If a child provided over 50% of support for mother, which I doubt, then child could claim mother and mother's medical expenses.

Comment

In Montana there is

a refundable tax credit of up to $1,000. I think it is a tax refund based on property taxes paid which is included in the monthly payments to the assisted living center.

Comment

Yes, very true. Didn't even think about responding at the state level since I don't assume anyone else being from Montana.

Rent is limited to $20 per day and then total income determines amount of credit.

Comment

Thanks for your replies

I researched things further myself and paired with your replies, I am satisfied I found a good answer. It wasn't an easy one to come up with. Keeps me on my toes!

Comment

Please Share

Would you like to share your findings??

Sandy

Comment

Working...
            X