Truck Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck Drivers

I have a client that is a LLC (Company), he is a independent truck driver, who does all of Home Depot deleveries in our area, drives to other cities in Maine to pick up stuff, he worked 257 days on the road last year, basically he's on call for them when they need him. Can I take a per diem for him for the 257 days at $49 per day? He files a Schedule C. Thank you for any help to this.

Only if he he gone overnight Look at page 8-9 & 8-10 in the Tax book. The amount is $52 which he would get 755 of if he qualifies. Sounds to me like he is home every day and would not qualify.

Comment

Sears delivery

I too have an independent truck driver who makes deliveries for Sears. He has been a schedule C but he incorporated last year.

He is required to have a helper or another person on the truck with him and he is required to provide their meals each day. (Rules of contract with Sears). I have let him take the meals of the helper but not his own meals. Should I have allowed his meals also? He can't buy helpers meals and not eat himself.

He has to be at the pick up site at 6 Am and sometimes works until 7 or 8 at night. But he goes home every night so I have never taken per diems for him.

Just wondered if I am handling his return correctly.

Linda F

Comment

Linda, I would do the same. Although I am not sure if the meals for his fellow truck drivers is a legitimate deduction.

Comment

Not his choice

I took the deduction since it is not his choice to provide their meals but part of his contract with Sears.

I figured that if it is a HAVE TO condition not "I'm being nice", it should be a deduction.

Linda F

Comment

I would handle it the same way Linda, it is a condition of his contract and not optional. An interesting questions is: why is Sears concerned about a helpers lunch?

Comment

Working...
            X