Promoting Your Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promoting Your Practice

Some of the newer guys have talked about the best way to promote a practice. Give the kind of service that the biggies dont provide. For example I just finished three returns for clients and provided them with 1040ES coupons, envelopes stamped for mailing; with 1040vouchers I do the same with self-addressed and stamped envelopes. I have some clients who distrust having the governmemt take payments from their bank accounts.
    Of course the ones who will allow electronic payment I make that option available.
    I think this is sound business practice: not forcing anything on your client but offering the electron ic payments if they are agreeable.
    I am using no newspaper advertising this year. An ad in a church directory of a large sized church. Quitefrankly some of my clients I dont want back and I really dont care if I have any new people or not. Word of mouth is the best promotion of your practice.

Word of mouth is definitely your best friend in advertising. Bigger companies offer Refer a Friend Coupons. I have offered a discount to my customers for referring someone to me. This is my first year and I have given out business cards everywhere, even to people who I know do their own etc. and tell them if they know someone else who needs a preparer to please give them one of my cards. I left some today at the beauty shop to be passed on to others. Beauty Shops and Barber Shops the workers hear it all and would probably know if someone was looking for a good tax preparer. I did my first Rapid Refund (not my favorite thing to do but did offer for those who want the product). I printed the check Sat and since I was going right by where they live, I took it to them. Today I got a call from someone they referred wanting an appointment for themself and a friend. So go the extra mile and word of mouth will be your best advertisement and cheapest.

Comment

Word of Mouth

I like word of mouth in fact it is all I have ever used. One of my clients offered to put my name on his website but I refused. One of the things I like about it is if there is ever a question about the new person ( are they on the straight and narrow) I will call the person that refered them to me. Word of mouth does not build your business fast but I think you get clients that will stick around longer.

Comment

Church ad

The idea of putting an ad in a large church is a good idea. My 2,000 member church charges me $75 to put an ad on an annual calendar that they publish. I usually get 3-5 new clients a year and they spread word of mouth from there.

I also use some of the Yahoo groups I belong to - mother's groups, etc...I put out some helpful info like the change in tax due date to the 17th this year, energy credits, or the need for receipts for charity deductions. Then I give my name and e-mail.

These are variations of word of mouth, perhaps "word-by-e-mail"

Carol

Comment

Bonnie

Radcliff, KY?? I'm aware of two such places. One is virtually outside the
          gates of Ft. Knox. The other is just outside Lexington. Whence cometh thou?

Welcome to the board, as I notice you are new. Visit us often.

Comment

advertising

I have an ad in the yellow pages of the phone book and its really expensive to advertise all year, when tax season is just three and a half months long. However I live in such a transient city, next to a Military installation, with people moving in and out all the time that I have to do it.
            I agree, word of mouth is valuable for the most part, but sometimes you have to really be aggressive to get your share of the business.
            ken

Comment

Mostly word of mouth

I have mostly used word of mouth for my advertising since it seems to get the most results. I tried a couple of other avenues that didn't do hardly anything. I put an ad in the newsletter of a retirement community and got a couple of calls. I did that with a couple of places.

I was thinking about sending cards to new home owners and to new businesses. I know of one preparer who sent out cards to new homeowners and she said she got 75 new clients last year.

So I think I will try that approach.

Linda F

Comment

Radcliff KY

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                Radcliff, KY?? I'm aware of two such places. One is virtually outside the
                gates of Ft. Knox. The other is just outside Lexington. Whence cometh thou?

Welcome to the board, as I notice you are new. Visit us often.
                I am actually just outside Ft Knox. We retired here after my husband spent 23 years in the Army. Whence cometh thou??--actually from Zanesville, OH is where I came from before traveling all over with the military. Thanks for the welcome. I am enjoying the forum and learning a lot from all the activity. My first year in business of my own. Previously worked 13 years for Jackson Hewitt and managed their office for 4 years. I am enjoying working at home this year.

Comment

South

Bonnie, I am your neighbor to the south.

Ron Jordan, Manchester, TN

Ah yes, the state that adorns its mighty head in the clean mists of the Great Smoky Mountains, and washes its feet on the hallowed banks of Ol' Man River....

Have a few gold bars to spare up there??

Comment

Gold Bars

Originally posted by Snaggletooth View Post
                    Bonnie, I am your neighbor to the south.

Ron Jordan, Manchester, TN

Ah yes, the state that adorns its mighty head in the clean mists of the Great Smoky Mountains, and washes its feet on the hallowed banks of Ol' Man River....

Have a few gold bars to spare up there??
                    They haven't been giving out any samples lately. Nice to meet you. I see by the map that you are directly south of me.

Comment

Cheapest way to promote your practice?

Word of mouth. I received more clients that way when I first started than by all the advertising that I did for about 3 years.

How did I get the "word of mouth" promotion?

Service, service, service.

I answered the phone! I talked to my clients personally. I still do, with the help of my secretary (wife). While I don't answer the phone during tax season because she is there, I do call my clients back ASAP if I can't take the call then.
                      Jiggers, EA

Comment

Working...
                      X