The Tax Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tax Book

Looking under Itemized deductions>unreimbursed employees expenses> for vehicles it says look at Tab 10. Where do I find Tab 10? I don't see any tabs!

Thanks!
    Eli

Tab #3 definition

1.a small flap, strap, loop, or similar appendage, as on a garment, used for pulling, hanging, or decoration.
    2. a tag or label.
    3. a small projection from a card, paper, or folder, used as an aid in filing.

Not to be confused with a hanging chad.
    JG

Comment

Thanks for the definition....

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
      1.a small flap, strap, loop, or similar appendage, as on a garment, used for pulling, hanging, or decoration.
      2. a tag or label.
      3. a small projection from a card, paper, or folder, used as an aid in filing.

Not to be confused with a hanging chad.
      but I was looking for the location :-)

Thanks again!

Eli

Comment

Tabs

Originally posted by Eli View Post
        Looking under Itemized deductions>unreimbursed employees expenses> for vehicles it says look at Tab 10. Where do I find Tab 10? I don't see any tabs!

Thanks!
        Eli
        are the little thingies that stick out on the right of The Tax Book. They are numbered. Find the one that has the number 10 on it.

Comment

Maybe I'm blind or just...

Originally posted by Larmil View Post
          are the little thingies that stick out on the right of The Tax Book. They are numbered. Find the one that has the number 10 on it.
          stupid, but I don't see any numbered tabs on the right side or anywhere for that matter.

Eli

Comment

Mutant Taxbook

Eli- think you should ask TTB for a replacement. Sounds like you received one of those mutations without the tabs.

Comment

Lay your book on your desk in front of you. Close your eyes and place your hand on your desk to the right of your book. Now slowly move your hand towards your book until you feel the edge of the book.

STOP.

Open your eyes, and the edge of the book that you are touching is the Tabs. The Tabs line the entire right side of the book. Each chapter in the book starts with a different Tab.

Now turn your book on your desk so that the Tabs are farthest away from you and the comb is closest to you. You will notice that each Tab has a name written on it. Above each name is a number encased in a red elliptical sphere. What’s New on your far left has an elliptical red sphere with the number one encased inside it. The next tab says 2006 Federal Tax Tables with an elliptical red sphere with the number two encased inside it. And so on. When you get to the tenth tab, it should say Automobiles Listed Property with an elliptical red sphere with the number 10 encased inside it. That is Tab 10.

You will also notice that at the bottom of every page in the book, either on the left bottom or right bottom is a page number. For example, Tab 8 is number 8-1, 8-2, 8-3, etc. Tab 10 is number 10-1, 10-2, 10-3, etc. If you have trouble locating the tabs along the right side of the book, just open the book and look for the page numbers at the bottom. That should tell you what Tab you are in.

Comment

You could be right...

Originally posted by RJM View Post
                Eli- think you should ask TTB for a replacement. Sounds like you received one of those mutations without the tabs.
                I ordered the CD, and for the life of me can not find numbered tabs. I guess I'll call and find out. :-) you think they have tech support?? I won't feel too bad since it's a Monday!!

Comment

I ordered the CD, and for the life of me can not find numbered tabs. I guess I'll call and find out. :-) you think they have tech support?? I won't feel too bad since it's a Monday!!

If you don't have the book, the term Tab won't make much sense to you.

On the WebCd, the left side of your screen gives you the option to navigate through TheTaxBook, or Government documents. When you click on TheTaxBook, you will see numbered folders, such as:

Covers and Organizer
                  What's New Supplement
                  1-What's New
                  2 - 2006 Federal Tax Tables
                  3 - 1040 Line Instructions
                  and so forth.

The number in front of the folder corresponds to the Tabs in the hard copy book.

Click on 10 - Automobiles and Listed Property

That is Tab 10

Comment

on the CD the tabs are on the left.

Comment

My CD doesn't have tabs either

Obviously a tab can't be seen, felt or smelled on a CD.
                      When you go into the CD, under 'TaxBook Web CD is'The Tax Book'
                      Click on the + sign on 'The Tax Book'
                      You will see a lot of numbers which are a cyberspace equivalent of a 'tab'
                      If you go down to number 10, you will find Autos and listed property.
                      Cllick on that.

Comment

Thanks, Brad...

That worked!!

Eli

Comment

Just a side note, the WebCD version that will be released in the next week or so will be fully linked. So when it says "See Tab 10..." there will be a hyperlink to that specific spot in Tab 10 where the subject matter is discussed, along with other links to IRS Pubs, Forms, and Instructions for more information.

Comment

Working...
                          X