Never Ever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never Ever...

..... give the W-3s or 1096s to your clients for mailing, Mail them in bulk to the IRS or SS by due date ONLY, never before.

This was talked about in a previous thread and I thought it should be a starter thread for all to see. That thread got side-tracked into other issues.

Previous thread was> "In what situation we need to issue Form 1099 to corporation?"
    Last edited by BOB W; 01-29-2007, 08:32 AM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

What's the reason for waiting for the deadline?
    Dave, EA

Comment

I case,

there are changes. The fix is so easy when you still have the originals in house.
      This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
        Never ever..... give the W-3s or 1096s to your clients for mailing,
        I disagree!

It is not a tax preparers responsibility (and questionable authority) to mail the client's tax returns for them and there is no good reason to assume such legal responsibility. Why should you pay extra for E&O insurance because you assume such legal responsibilities. Collect your just fee for preparation service and timely deliver the goods to the client for their decision on when and "if" to file your product.

Comment

To each......

.... their own. I can't disagree with you. Each year just flows better when I'm in control of as many aspects of my clients responsibilities.

That is also why I will be e-filing 941s and 940 going forward. Sure I am taking on a certain amount of responsibility but that is my job, being responsible for keeping my client current in all matters.

Comment

I have to agree with BOB W on this. This is my firm's procedure as well. After completing the W-2's and 1099's we send in the official red copys for out clients and we wait until the last possible moment. Why? Because the client always will have on w-2 or 1099 that must be changed or fixed for a bad address , social security number or the like. And like BobW stated it is just easier to fix before the client has already mailed it in.

Comment

I agree with

we electronically transmit w2s & 1099s for our clients. Don't need the red forms anymore.

Comment

I e-file all returns....

.... and no longer wait til due dates to file W3 and 1096. It is so fast and easy with e-filing, and it is more efficient to do all the steps at one time (mailing vendor copies, employee copies, and e-filing returns). For the few correx that are required, e-filing correx is so fast and easy now that it just takes 2 or 3 minutes for each, at most. -Bob

Comment

e-file

People actually still mail these in?

Matt
                  I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

The concept.....

... of waiting until the deadline has nothing to do with efiling. It has to do with being sure what you file is final. Corrections are always the problem no matter how it gets filed.

Comment

Working...
                    X